Creatinine is a chemical waste product of muscle metabolism which is produced from creatine, a molecule of major importance for energy production in the muscle. Creatinine is transported through the bloodstream to the kidney, which filters out most of the creatinine and disposes of it in urine. Let us look at what is considered a bad creatinine level and how to normalize bad creatinine levels naturally.
What Is Considered A Bad Creatinine Level?
Kidney maintains the blood creatinine level and an abnormality in the range of creatinine, indicates a kidney disease. Impairment of kidney function due to any reason leads to a rise in the level of creatinine in the blood, due to a poor clearance by the kidney. This indicates a problem in kidney functioning and is one of the major parameters that determines good or bad health. So, what is considered a bad creatinine level? Let us understand the normal creatinine level as against bad elevated level.
Normal creatinine clearance for a healthy female is 88-128mL/min- 128mL/min and in a healthy male it is 97mL/min-137mL/min. A normal level of Creatinine in blood is 0.6- 1.2 mg/dl in males and 0.5-1.1 mg/dl in females.1
The level above or below the normal range is considered abnormal or a bad creatinine level. Also, the higher the level, greater is the severity. Elevated levels of creatinine in infants are associated with bacteremia while in adult males, can be linked with prostate cancer. Few other diseases that affect the kidney and glomerulus and raise the creatinine level are diabetes, gout, muscular dystrophy, an autoimmune disorder, and rhabdomyolysis.
While medical treatment is the most accepted option, some people prefer going for natural treatment methods.
Ways to Normalize Bad Creatinine Levels Naturally?
Medical treatment and dialysis is a common treatment for kidney issue. But if you are wondering about how to bring creatinine level to normal naturally, here are some tips. Creatinine level can also be controlled by different natural remedies and change in lifestyle, which include the following,
- Cut Down On The Strenuous Exercise – Exercising too much can spike the creatinine level due to the overactivity of the muscle. Various studies indicate that vigorous exercising increase creatinine level in response to the increase in the muscle breakdown.2 You can change the type of exercise for example if you run you can start walking and if you are lifting weights you can do yoga instead. This is one of the effective ways to bring creatinine level to normal naturally.
- Reduce Protein Intake – Eating large amounts of protein can increase the creatinine level. Cooked meat affect the creatinine level largely as the heat from cooking can cause the creatine found in meat to produce creatinine.3 People with a diet high in red meat or dairy products should shift to vegetable dishes.
- Eat Fiber – Increased fiber intake plays a major role in the reduction of creatinine levels.4 Fiber is found in good quantities in the fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. This is one of the easiest ways to bring creatinine level to normal naturally.
- Avoid Supplements Containing Creatine – Creatine is a natural compound found in the liver which is transported to the muscles for energy. Creatine is also present in the oral supplements used by the athletes to enhance their performance. If you have a high creatinine level, supplements containing creatine should be restricted.
- Increase Fluid Intake – Dehydration also increases the creatinine level. Low fluid intake can also be a cause of various kidney diseases.
- Therefore plenty of water and other fluid should be taken to manage the creatinine levels. This not helps to flush out the toxins but also helps to bring creatinine level to normal naturally.
- Consume Barley – Barley is believed to be a diuretic, which when consumed can help in detoxification of the kidneys. Consuming barley in your diet can help clean the kidneys and get rid of excess creatinine. It thus works to bring creatinine level to normal naturally. It is also a fiber rich food and improves digestive health.
- Sleep Well – Sleep helps to regulate your body functions. Whether it is stress or overexertion, sleep helps in healing and regulates various body parameters. Getting adequate sleep reduces the conversion of creatine to creatinine. This may help the kidneys to get rid of excess creatinine and help to bring creatinine level to normal naturally.
- Chamomile Tea – Chamomile is known to have sedative effects, thus helps in improving sleep. The tea is also very effective in reducing creatinine levels.
- Cinnamon – Along with adding a taste to your dessert, this spice helps in stimulating the kidney function and also regulating the blood sugar levels in the body.
- Yoga – Yoga is a great form of mental, physical, and spiritual exercise. Certain yoga exercises and positions may provide relief in detoxification, thus influencing better kidney function and regulating blood pressure.5 This can help bring creatinine level to normal naturally.