Period cravings are pretty normal and many women have been experiencing this worldwide. Women may get the weirdest cravings during the monthly cycle which can sometimes also cause discomfort. There are some specific reasons that why you have these cravings and this guide talks about the same. Let us understand why do you crave sweets when on your period?
What Are Period Cravings?
Period cravings are a simple way of telling you that your body is lacking in some nutrients and it is the time that you need to replenish these. Most women get cravings before periods which are quite intense. You may like to gorge on nuts or some sugary foods which refuel your body for better work. While period cravings are common, you need to know why you have sugary cravings specifically. This intense desire to have something is basically directed towards certain foods which can be sugary or salty.
If you are wondering why you crave sweets when on your periods, you need to understand the period cravings. Every woman has a different menstrual cycle which often comes along with period cravings. You may have a desire to have foods which you normally may not have. This usually happens due to chemical changes in the body and these food cravings do indicate something. It often happens that when your periods are nearby, you would like to have more sweets or more chocolates and most of the period cravings are related to the changes in hormones.
It often happens that you get cravings during your periods which leave you wondering and causes many weight issues too. Period cravings can lead to overeating, cause weight gain and increase the risk of many lifestyle disorders. You need to know the reasons for period cravings and also take necessary action to manage them.
Why Do You Crave Sweets When On Your Period?
Studies have indicated that when there is a lack of magnesium in your diet, you may crave sweet or chocolate during your periods.
The commonest reasons why you crave sweets when on your period, are the chemical and hormonal changes in your body. Some of the commonest reasons for your period cravings include
- Sometimes your body lacks fuel and you are not taking enough meals, blood sugar levels become low. This is one of the commonest reason for period cravings, particularly sweets before and during periods. Taking several small meals throughout the day can help. This helps to control the binge eating and you feel lesser urge to have sugary foods.
- Serotonin hormone is responsible for making you feel like having more sugary products like sweets and chocolates. Serotonin is meant for keeping you in good mood and is released in the brain. When the level of this hormone goes down, you feel low and there is a dire need by your body for potato chips or other food items. This is one of the main reasons why you crave sweets when on your period. As sweets are a rich source of carbohydrates, and are used for making serotonin in your body, you crave sweets and feel better after having them.
- Lack of vitamin D also leads to decrease of serotonin levels, which makes it tough to cope up with reduced of sugar and carbohydrates in the body. This too can ultimately cause you to crave sweets when on your period. Hence, it is important to get exposure to sunlight, have a protein rich diet and consider taking vitamin D supplements.
- Having sweet cravings are all about lack of nutrition in diet. Hence, the reason why you crave sweets when on your period is the lack of complex carbs. When your diet lacks this vital nutritional value, your body will ask it in the form of cravings. Having adequate complex carbohydrates is the right to do, but if you sweets or other sugary foods, your body again misses out on the energy needed for long hours. Soon you will feel dull again and crave sweets all the more, thus turning the whole thing into a vicious circle.
- Another important reason why you crave sweets when on your period is the lack of physical exercise. When you have a sedentary lifestyle, level of endorphins come down, which makes you take up more food which can also be sugary. Lack of exercise is a major cause which leads to problems such as willing to have too much of sweets and chocolates. This is not only important in relation to periods but also for your overall health. Hence, it is necessary to perform regular exercises or go for a walk or swim regularly.
- Sometimes, increased metabolism may use up your energy too soon, leaving you craving for food. This could be another reason why you crave sweets when on your periods. As sweets are an instant source of energy, you may crave sweets when your body feels tired.
- Protein intake also has a role to play in period cravings as it helps to moderate the imbalances caused in blood sugar levels. When your protein intake is low, your hormones and sugar levels can fluctuate more easily. If you take up protein with your every meal, you can prevent period cravings. With the incorporation of legumes, sprouts, eggs, chicken and fish regularly in your diet, the untimely period cravings and sugar cravings can be managed.
Many measures can be taken which can mitigate the problems of period cravings. Right food and diet can help a lot in slashing down the complaints of period cravings, binge eating and even weight gain. In line with the latest studies, lifestyle problems are the main reasons why you crave sweets when on your period. You can tone down the effects of these sweet cravings by following a healthy diet, exercise and sleep routine during the entire month.