Heartburn: Causes, Home Remedies, Prevention Tips
Heart burn is the burning sensation in the chest, just behind the breastbone or in the upper central abdomen. It occurs when the stomach acid flows back up into the esophagus (food pipe).
- Alcohol: Consumption of excessive alcohol, especially in empty stomach may lead to acid reflux and thus give you heartburn.
- Caffeine: Coffee contains caffeine. And too much consumption of coffee means too much of caffeine and thus heartburn. So limit the number.
- Ibuprofen: Generally it is used as painkiller. So whenever you go for a painkiller, combine it with acid reflux inhibitor.
- Carbonated Beverages: Your favorite soft drink can give you heartburn too!!
- Acidic Juices: Juices of grape, orange, OR pineapple i.e Which that contains either citric acid or lactic acid etc. can cause heartburn.
- Chocolate: Chocolates too contain caffeine. Though eating chocolate relieves your stress but over eating may cause heartburn.
- Take ½ teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with 1 glass of fresh water.
- Mix properly and drink.
- Being basic in nature, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) neutralizes the acid in the stomach and stops the reflux.
Aloe Vera Juice:
- Having a great soothing power, aloe vera juice soothes your heartburn and relieves you. ½ cup of juice is enough.
- Banana is a natural antacid. Have one daily before bedtime.
Ginger Root tea:
- Take 3 slices of ginger root; simmer it for 15-20 mins; add 2 cups of water to it.
- Remove the slices and drink it 10-15 mins prior to your meal.
- It stops your nausea, stomach woes and acid reflux.
- It may be uncomfortable to have mustard at first, but having mustard straight helps your heart burn.
- Being alkalizing in nature and because of the weak acid that it contains in form of vinegar, it helps a lot. Have 1 teaspoon straight!!
- Eating almond after every meal or snack helps a lot to reduce heartburn.
- But don't start nibbling like anything. It may trigger other health issues.
- Don't sleep immediately after eating. This leads to improper digestion, hence abnormal acid secretion.
- Go for a walk every day. This helps your metabolism to go easy.
- Tight fitting dresses after heavy meal. This may suppress your abdomen and indigestion occurs.
- Eat up to 80% full. Leave some space in your stomach as this helps in proper digestion.
- Don't stay empty stomach for a long time. Hunger triggers the acid secretion.
- If you had a heavy meal at night, do some remedy before going to bed. Try to avoid heavy meals during night.
- Don't eat excessive oily or junk foods.
- So, take care of your meal, maintain a healthy routine and stay healthy.