Top Medicines for Treating Allergies: Nasal Steroid Sprays, Antihistamines, Antileukotrienes
Numerous medicines are available to treat allergy and its symptoms. It is seen that the working of a medicines varies from person to person, especially when the symptoms of allergy are different.
Top Medicines for Treating Allergies
Some of the top medicines for treating allergies are given below:-
Nasal Steroid Sprays for Treating Allergies
Nasal allergy are most common and to treat it, nasal steroid sprays are the most effective medicine. Observations reveal that individuals with non-allergic rhinitis or hay fever can use the nasal sprays to treat their condition.
Nasal Spray Medicines Incorporate:
- Flonase or fluticasone
- Rhinocort Aqua or budesonide
- Nasonex or mometasone
- Beconase AQ or beclomethasone
- Nasacort AQ or triamcinolone
- Nasarel or flunisolide
Advantages of Nasal Steroid Sprays in Treating Allergies:
- Some of them are best in the treatment of allergic rhinitis.
- In order to prevent allergic symptoms, nasal sprays are the most effective medicines.
- Nasal sprays are effective in treating non-allergic rhinitis. However, antihistamines are not that effective for treating the same disease.
Drawbacks of Nasal Steroid Sprays in Treating Allergies:
- Nasal sprays required to be used every day. For sufferers who use it on a preventive measure, for them such drug is not a good choice.
- The nasal sprays require sometime to exhibit its effects.
Antihistamines are Also Used in Treatment of Allergies
Oral antihistamines are good for treating allergies. However, some antihistamines like Benadryl causes sedation. Some of the second antihistamine drugs are as follows:
- Zyrtec (cetirizine)
- Clarinex (desloratadine)
- Allegra (fexofenadine)
- Alavert & Claritin or loratadine
Advantages of Using Antihistamines for Treating Allergies:
- These medicines are used as and when required.
- They work rapidly and many of them are known to be effective in the treating allergies.
- Most of them are oral drugs and therefore individuals do not mind taking them.
- The antihistamine drugs are effective in the treating eye allergies.
Drawbacks of Using Antihistamines for Treating Allergies:
- The most important disadvantage of using antihistamine drugs is that, after taking the medicines people experience drowsiness.
Antileukotrienes Such as Singulair is Also Effective in Treating Allergies
Singulair is a medicine that has similar functionalities as antihistamine drugs. This medicine is useful for treating allergies as well as Asthma. However, it is observed that the medicine is not effective for treating either of the condition. The drug is used along with another antihistamine drug to give best results.