Osteoarthritis is a common type of chronic and long-lasting joint problem. We know that the joint refers to a point, where two bones meet. Ends of the joints remain covered with cartilage i.e. a protective tissue. Whenever a patient suffers from osteoarthritis the cartilage breaks down, which leads to rubbing of the bones together. This leads to stiffness, pain, and related symptoms. Osteoarthritis often takes place in elderly people, while it may even take place in other adults.(1)
Coping Methods For Osteoarthritis
You should follow a few of the valuable tips to manage your pain related to osteoarthritis at your home and in your workplace.
Wearing Supportive Shoes: Shoes play a major role to reduce the amount of force exerted on the bone joints. Hence, wearing supportive shoes is very much essential for all, who experience osteoarthritis in hips and knees. Thus, you should buy sneakers, which have closed toes and proper arch support than buying simple flip-flops.
Topical Creams To Achieve Instant Relief: Topical creams may give you long-lasting and immediate relief to the site of your osteoarthritis pain. Hence, if you are an osteoarthritis patient, you should keep topical creams and tubes handy at your workplace and home both. This lets you apply it instantly once you identify the first sign associated with your osteoarthritis pain.
Use Special Tools At Your Work And Home: You should look for certain devices and special tools, to make your daily tasks easy. These are buttoning aids, zipper pulls, electric can openers, desks, and chairs of adjustable height, handrails, and tub bars, and wide key holder for your car.
Do Certain Exercises To Stay Active: Managing the pain related to osteoarthritis is the best and toughest way to manage your body weight and adopt habits related to a healthy lifestyle. You should try aerobics, walking, and other similar types of activities to make your affected joints limb and avoid worsening of the osteoarthritis pain. For instance, you may try gardening by using certain assistive devices, like kneelers and lightweight hoses.
Look For Food Items To Manage Your Oa Pain: A few of the food items are better and give health benefits to osteoarthritis patients. Turmeric spice comes with anti-inflammatory properties to help you in managing the pain and inflammation related to osteoarthritis. Gamma-linolenic acid is a type of fatty acid, which benefits arthritis patients and remains present in plants as primrose and hemp. Omega-3 fatty acids are available in nuts and fish, which help reduce your stiffness and joint pain.(2)
Can You Live A Normal Life With Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis patients may stay active and lead a normal life if they undergo proper diagnosis and treatment timely. An osteoarthritis patient may become one of the active partners in the treatment with-
- Staying well-informed with their underlying condition and the available
- Maintain your healthy weight to reduce the amount of stress on any of the weight-bearing joints
- Involve in exercises to boost your physical strength and flexibility
- Always follow a healthy and balanced diet
- Get enough rest
- Develop certain means to manage and reduce your stress levels
- Application of heat to achieve instant relief from your pain and stiffness
- Application of cold to relieve pain and muscular spasms
- Protect the joints from suffering injuries
- Modify certain activities if required to reduce the pain incidence
- Ask for help from your doctor/therapist whenever it is necessary
If you suffer from osteoarthritis, you should play a proactive role to boost your health. Besides, you should discuss the available treatment options with your doctor to come up with well-informed decisions.(3)
If you are a patient of osteoarthritis, you may find plenty of coping strategies and methods to manage your underlying condition. Moreover, you may expect to stay a healthy life even when you are an osteoarthritis patient. Only, you have to discuss with your doctor to take the necessary steps to keep yourself healthy and happy.
- How Do You Stop Osteoarthritis From Progressing & Does It Hurt All The Time?
- Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Your Mental Health
- Does Cold Weather Affect Osteoarthritis & What Triggers An Osteoarthritis Flare-Up?
- What Are The 4 Stages Of Osteoarthritis & At What Age Does It Begin?
- Will Osteoarthritis Cripple Me & Can It Cause Fatigue?
- Which Is Worse Osteoarthritis Or Arthritis & Is Osteoarthritis Hereditary?
- What is Thumb Arthritis & How is it Treated?: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis of Thumb Arthritis
- Exercising With Arthritis
- Self-Care Tips For Osteoarthritis Patients