Physical inactivity results in several ill health conditions including obesity, diabetes, certain types of cancer, heart diseases, decline in memory and many others. It is noted that physical inactivity is a major contributor to premature mortality in San Francisco, USA.
In the 15th Century BC, the famous Greek physician Hippocrates, observed that, “All the parts of our body, if used in moderation and exercised in labors to which each is accustomed, turns healthy and well developed, and also age slowly. However, if they are unused and left idle, they become more prone to diseases, defective in growth and also age quickly.”
In this article, let us take a look on some of the major consequences of physical inactivity.
Some Facts About Physical Inactivity:
- Physical inactivity tends to increase with age.
- There occur thousands of deaths every year because of a lack of regular physical activity.
- Women are more likely to lead an inactive lifestyle than men.
- Hispanic and Black adults are more likely to be physically inactive than Non-Hispanic white adults.
Major Consequences Of Physical Inactivity:
Below are some of the major consequences of physical inactivity.
- There is a higher risk of mental illnesses in people who are physically inactive. Physical inactivity can lead to Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, anxiety and depression.
- There is a weaker immune system in individuals who are physically inactive.
- Physical inactivity can cause visceral obesity, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes.
- One of the major consequences of physical inactivity is that is lead to Sarcopenia and loss of strength.
- Physically inactive people have a lower oxidative capacity.
- One more major consequence of physical inactivity is that there is a less executive control of the CNS or the Central nervous system and the memory declines.
- People who are physically inactive, have reduced skin-wound healing capacity.
- One more consequence of physical inactivity is that there is an elevated risk of osteoporosis.
- Physically inactive individuals have a higher risk of breast, colon and endometrial cancer.
- There is a loss of coordination and balance and a higher risk of falls and fractures due to a physically inactive lifestyle.
- Another major consequence of physical inactivity is the reduced function of ligaments, tendons and the joints.
- There is also an increased risk of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in individuals who are physically inactive.
- Other major consequences of physical inactivity includes, an elevated risk of stroke, peripheral artery disease and coronary heart disease.
- With physical inactivity, there develops hypertension, elevated bad cholesterol and reduced good cholesterol.
So, from all the above mentioned consequences of the physical inactivity, it is clear that you can really suffer a lot if you lead a physically inactive life. So, why not get up and take a step forward in engaging self with more of physical activities that could help you avoid these major consequences of physical inactivity.
- How to Improve Mental and Emotional Health: Self Help Therapy for Better Mind Health!
- Various Causes Of Deterioration In Mental Health
- An Excellent Mental Health Leads To An Excellent Mind
- What is Mental and Emotional Health? How to Enhance them, Risk Factors
- 5 Ways to Get Rid of Mental Tiredness Naturally
- Rare Mental Disorders That Exist
- Are Mental Illnesses Hereditary?