"Oregano is the spice of life." The most appropriate quote on Oregano from Henry J Tillman explains all about the importance of this particular plant to human health. Maybe it is the respiratory tract disorders or maybe the gastrointestinal disorder, maybe it is about the menstrual issues or maybe it is about the urinary tract disorders or any infection or allergy; Oregano plant is highly essential in treating many of the diseases and conditions in human beings. It can rightly be said that oregano, especially its leaf is one of the best medicine for mankind. In this current article we will talk about various essential benefits of Oregano and get to know about the forms how oregano are used for various health conditions.
Special Note On Oregano And Its Uses:
"Mountain of joy." The meaning of the Greek word Oregano suggests all about the delightful properties of the herb beneficial to human health and also its culinary uses. Oregano is a plant having excellent health promoting properties which makes it one of the most crucial medicines for human beings since ages. This herb is extremely aromatic and warm by nature and the supreme quality of oregano is grown in warm and dry climate.
Among all the essential uses of Oregano, its culinary uses in food and beverages, its medicinal uses in folk medicine, and its uses in food preservatives come as the most important ones in the list. Oregano oil is also used as an insect repellent.
Oregano is used in fresh form and also dried forms. Apart from this, Oregano oil is also greatly used for various purposes. More about the benefits to health from oregano or oregano oil will be discussed in the later part of the article.
Nutritional Facts and Various Properties of Oregano That Makes It An Important Source Of Herbal Medicine:
Oregano is an excellent functional food because of its rich nutritional value. Let us check out the nutritional facts of 100 grams of Oregano.
- Vitamin A- 230%
- Vitamin K- 518%
- Vitamin C: 83%
- Fibre: 107%
- Iron content: 530%
- Manganese content: 203%
- Folates percentage: 63%
- Beta Carotene: 4112 micro gram
Various Properties Of Oregano:
Some of the most important properties of Oregano that makes it an essential source of folk medicine and greatly used by people practising and believing herbal treatments; include the following.
- Anti-oxidant property
- Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal/anti microbial properties
- Anti-cancer property
- Anti-inflammatory property
- Rich dietary source.
How To Use Oregano?
Oregano is used in many forms for treating diseases and conditions. Some of the most noted forms on how this herb is used as an herbal medicine include the following
- Fresh Oregano Leaf: Fresh leaves of Oregano are used in soups, and also served in salads.
- Dried Oregano Leaf: Dried leaves of Oregano are greatly used in cooking various recipes. These are fried with oil at the beginning of cooking.
- Oregano Oil: With effective oil pulling ways, Oregano oil is prepared and is used for treating various conditions. In fact for its strong antibacterial, antiviral, antibacterial and anti-oxidant properties; oregano oil is greatly used during illness. This essential oil is either taken by mouth for treating various inflammation, allergies and infections or also applied to the skin for treating various skin conditions.
Health Benefits Of Oregano:
Now comes, the most essential section on Oregano. Let us discuss about some of the most essential health benefits of Oregano.
- Oregano As A Rich Dietary Source During Illness: Because of its high fibre content, rich content of nutrients like calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, vitamins etc; Oregano is considered as a rich dietary source and taken by people, especially during illness.
- Oregano Benefits In Treating Various Respiratory Tract Disorders: Various respiratory tract disorders like cough, asthma, bronchitis etc. can be effectively treated with Oregano.
- Benefits of Oregano in Treating Various Gastrointestinal Tract Disorders: Oregano due to its strong anti-viral and anti-fungal properties is also used in treating various gastrointestinal disorders like bloating, heartburn etc.
- Oregano For Treating Urinary Tract Disorders: Urinary tract infections included under the urinary tract disorder along with various other such disorders of the urinary tract can be effectively treated with oregano.
- Benefits of Oregano as a Cancer Fighting Herbal Medicine: The anti-cancer property of Oregano makes it a strong herbal medicine for fighting against cancer. As per the biologists from UAE university, Oregano is one of the most crucial herbal treatment for fighting against breast cancer and highly modulate the cancer growth and metastasis.
- Oregano for Treating Allergies and Inflammations: Because of its anti-inflammatory properties; Oregano is used for treating various conditions like arthritis, sinus pain, cold & flu, earaches, etc.
- Oregano Helpful For Treating Various Skin Conditions: Because it is anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory, Oregano oil is used to treat various skin conditions like psoriasis, warts, athlete's foot, oily skin, acne etc. It is also used in treating dandruff and also has benefits treating various insect bites.
- Use of Oregano to Build Immune System: It is known that antioxidants aids in protecting your body cells against the free radicals and helps in fighting against diseases. Because of its strong anti-oxidant properties, oregano is highly beneficial to immune system. It is right to say that Oregano oil is greatly immune stimulating.
- Oregano and its Various Other Health Benefits: Among other uses of oregano to human health comes its health benefits for menstrual problems like the menstrual cramps, headaches, rheumatoid arthritis, certain heart conditions etc.
Know How To Select And Store Oregano To Derive Its Best Benefits :
While selecting Oregano following points must be considered for the best benefits from the herb.
- Choose the fresh Oregano over the dried ones. You can know it by having a look at their leaves which looks absolutely vibrant and green with their firm stems.
- Try to find fresh Oregano from the local spice stores in your area, instead of purchasing the dried Oregano from supermarket. Oregano available with the special spice stores in local areas are more fresh and are of superior quality as compared to the supermarkets
- If you are choosing the dried Oregano make sure you confirm it from the stores that they are grown organically for better benefits.
Now coming down to the storage processes for Oregano; here we can list down the ways in brief.
- Store the fresh Oregano by cutting down to pieces or store it as whole by wrapping in a paper towel in the refrigerator.
- You can keep Oregano with properly wrapped conditions in the ice cube trays in the refrigerator.
- Dried oregano is to be stored in air tight jars or glass containers in cool, dry and dark places.
Recipe Tips For Cooking And Serving Oregano:
- Dried Oregano is to be used at the beginning while cooking any recipe. However in case you are using the fresh oregano it must be used at the end, after the food has been cooked.
- Oregano can be mixed with olive oil and stored for better essence of the herb.
- Oregano is used in preparing mushroom curries with excess of onions.
- Oregano is chopped to pieces and served with garlic bread.
- Oregano dressing in salads looks and tastes great.
Limitations In The Use Of Oregano:
Now that we are well known to the essential health benefits of Oregano; why not try out this excellent herb for treating illness (if any) and watch out the effectiveness by self? However before trying out anything one thing must be kept in mind; "Not everything is for everyone!" Uses of oregano or oregano oil have some limitations. There are some conditions which restrict the use of oregano like, in case of infants, in case of pregnant women, in case of lactating women and also in people suffering from high blood pressure or a serious heart condition etc. It is always a wise man's task to consult with expert health professional before taking Oregano and have a check on if any of your health conditions restricts its use.
Above all the mentioned limitations, one most crucial note to be taken care of while taking Oregano is, "Because Oregano in its pure form is extremely strong, it must be taken by diluting it with other carrier oils like the olive oil, coconut oil etc. Keep in mind to use one part of Oregano with three parts of carrier oil."