Cervical spondylosis refers to a chronic degenerative condition associated with the cervical spine, which affects the intervertebral disks and vertebral bodies in your neck.
Moreover, the condition may affect various contents of your spinal canal i.e. spinal cord or nerve roots. A few of the experts have even highlighted degenerative changes in the longitudinal ligaments, facet joints, and ligament flavum. Cervical spondylosis and its symptoms progress with your age and develop at different interspaces. The chronic form of cervical degeneration is a common cause related to a progressive type of spinal cord problem and nerve root compression.
How To Fix Cervical Spondylosis?
Until now, doctors have succeeded to fix the problem of cervical spondylosis by following the mentioned conservative treatment procedures-
- Maintaining a perfect balance between rest and physical exercise
- Usage of NSAIDs i.e. Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and other non-narcotic types of products to give immediate relief from both pain and inflammation
- Chiropractic manipulation to control various episodes related to severe pain in cervical spondylosis.
- Wearing a suitable cervical collar for limiting the movement and providing proper support
- Application of cold and heat therapy, physical exercise and traction, along with other types of physical therapies
- Injection drugs, like local anesthesia and corticosteroids in the joints of the patients’ spine and the area surrounding the bone and spine, referred to as cervical facet joint injection or epidural steroid injection.(2)
Home Remedies For Cervical Spondylosis
If you suffer from cervical spondylosis in its mild form, you should try the following home remedies to manage your condition.
- Regular Exercise: Doing regular exercise and maintaining certain activities may help you in speedy recovery of your condition. The best thing is that you need to modify only a few of your list of physical exercises to manage your neck pain. People walking daily remain at a relatively less risk related to low back pain and neck pain.
- Over-The-Counter Pain Relievers: You may try a few of the over-the-counter pain relievers, like naproxen sodium, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen to control your pain related to cervical spondylosis.
- Application Of Ice Or Heat: Application of ice or heat to the neck may ease your sore neck muscles and spine area.
- Soft Neck Brace: You may choose to wear soft neck braces, as they allow your muscles across the neck to rest. However, you should avoid wearing a neck brace for many hours, as it may eventually make your neck muscles weak.(3)
Symptoms Of Cervical Spondylosis
Signs and symptoms of cervical spondylosis include the following-
- You may experience cervical pain or chronic sub-occipital headache with the condition.
- A few patients have cervical radiculopathy i.e. compressed cervical nerve roots, which result in various ischemic changes to cause sensory dysfunction i.e. radicular pain and motor dysfunction, like for instance weakness.
- Cervical myelopathy or cervical spondylotic myelopathy is a severe consequence related to the degeneration of cervical intervertebral disk, especially when it has an association with a narrow canal of cervical vertebrae.(1)
Doctors may fix the condition of cervical spondylosis and its related symptoms with certain conservative types of treatment procedures. Moreover, a few patients may even manage their symptoms by following certain home remedies.