Bronchitis In Children
Bronchitis in the acute form is a condition commonly seen in children. It arises as a result of inflammation of the bronchial tubes which transports air to and from the lungs. Bronchitis in children usually occurs as a result of a viral infection which is characterized by flu symptoms, cold, running nose, infecting the bronchial tubes. The infection results in the airways getting swollen and obstructed causing productive cough.
In some cases, certain bacterial infections may also cause bronchitis in children along with allergies and environmental factors like fumes, smoke, and dust. Bronchitis in children occurs more often in the winter seasons and the symptoms exhibited by the child may include vomiting with coughing, problems with breathing, and tightness in the chest. The child may also complain of headaches.
It should be noted that bronchitis only affects children above three years of age. Infants and toddlers very rarely get affected by Bronchitis. It is important to know for the parents whether their child is showing symptoms of bronchitis.
How Do I Know If My Child Has Bronchitis?
A child with bronchitis will exhibit the usual signs of cold to include a runny nose, fever, chills, and a productive cough. In some cases, the cough may cause the child to vomit as well. During the initial stages, the cough may be dry but as the condition advances the cough becomes wet and is productive of greenish tinged sputum.
Additionally, a child with bronchitis, on percussion and auscultation may have an audible wheeze. The child may have trouble breathing due to persistent cough and may complain of heaviness in the chest. Normally, the symptoms will fade away within a span of a week or so but in some children there may be recurrences of the symptoms which may be an indication that the acute form of bronchitis has turned into a chronic form and more aggressive treatment is required to treat such forms of bronchitis.
This usually happens to children who are around a lot of smoke and dust or in the vicinity of individuals who smoke a lot which causes the child to inhale secondhand smoke resulting in chronic bronchitis.
- Viral Bronchitis: Causes, Symptoms, Investigations, Treatment, Preventative Measures
- Acute Bronchitis: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Prevention
- Bronchitis: How do You Get Bronchial Infection & What is its Treatment?
- Prevention of Bronchitis in Children & its Home Remedies
- How Long Does Bronchitis Last & What To Take For It?
- How Long is Viral Bronchitis Contagious?|Preventive Measure for Viral Bronchitis?
- Is Bronchitis Contagious & How Can You Prevent It?
- Bronchiolitis Vs Bronchitis: Differences Based on Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis, Risk Factors and Diagnosis