Blood sugar can fluctuate easily, particularly in those involved in exercises or those taking diabetic medications. As both the extremes of high or low blood sugar is dangerous, it is important to keep blood sugar within the ideal range. This article deals about how you feel when your blood sugar is too high or too low. So, how do you feel when your blood sugar is too high or too low. Let us explore more about this.
How Do You Feel When Your Blood Sugar Is Too High Or Too Low?
Often even after our taking the required precaution and being regular on the medications involved, your blood sugar level can either spike or fall below the normal range. This abnormal sugar level can make you feel sick. At times the number may shoot up or come down to a range which can lead to a medical emergency. Knowing about how you feel when your blood sugar is too high or too low can help in dealing with such a situation efficiently. But before that let us understand what causes these sudden changes in blood sugar levels.
Given below are some of the commonest causes of rise and fall in blood sugar level.
The reasons for a rise in blood sugar levels are as follows,
- Sugar-free food. The carbohydrate and the starch content of these foods can raise the blood sugar level. Even if you think the food in your hand is sugar-free, you need to know about its hidden content.
- Illness. During illness, the blood sugar rises as the body works to fight over the illness.
- Energy drinks. The energy drinks may replenish your fluid intake but these might contain much sugar. Prefer drinking plain water over these sugary drinks to maintain the fluid intake count.
- Medications. Certain medications such as steroids, diuretics, decongestants, and antidepressant drugs are found to trigger diabetes. And it is obviously true that, if you miss taking the diabetes medication the blood sugar will rise.
Reasons for the low blood sugar level are as follows,
- Alcohol. Drinking alcohol when taking diabetes medication can lower the sugar level.
- Medications. Some medications such as quinine can lower the blood sugar level. After taking insulin shot as advised by the doctor sometimes it is seen that the blood sugar drops below normal.
- Tumor. A tumor can lead to excess insulin in the body which can cause low blood sugar.
- Medical condition. Hepatitis or kidney disorder can lower the sugar level.
- Skipping meals. Eating less or delaying meal while taking medicine can lead to low blood sugar level
How Do You Feel When Your Blood Sugar Is Too High?
Here are some of the complaints that you may feel when your blood sugar is too high,
- Headache and body aches
- Lethargy and drowsiness
- Difficult concentration
- Dry mouth
- Frequent desire to urinate
- Bloated feeling
- Blurring of vision
- Wound or skin infections might need a longer time to heal
A very high sugar level can lead to a medical emergency, diabetic ketoacidosis, which might need an urgent medical attention. Some of the emergency symptoms when your blood sugar is too high include,
- Rapid heart rate
- Shortness of breath
- Fruity smell and taste in the mouth
How Do You Feel When Your Blood Sugar Is Too Low?
Low blood sugar symptoms can occur suddenly. The complaints that you would feel when your blood sugar is too low include,
- Sudden nervousness
- Blurry vision
- Rapid heart rate
- Pale skin
- Numbness and tingling on the skin
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Loss of consciousness, coma or a seizure
- Difficulty in concentration
These symptoms can go on for a while till some food containing sugar is given. If this continues for long without any intake of sugar or any carbs, the condition can worsen and the blood sugar levels may further drop down, leading to complications. Very low blood sugar level can be a medical emergency too, which is why it is very important to be aware of the symptoms coming up because without an immediate treatment the patient can faint, may experience a seizure, or can even go into a coma.
Both the high and the low blood sugar level can lead to an emergency, and therefore knowledge of how do you feel when your blood sugar is too high or low is very necessary. Early you come up with a solution faster the condition can be eased and the complication can be avoided.
- What Should My Blood Sugar Level be in the Morning?
- Importance of Blood Sugar Control & Measures to Control it
- Exercises & Yoga Poses To Control Blood Sugar
- Can Drinking A Lot Of Water Lower Your Blood Sugar?
- How Low Blood Sugar Affects Your Body?
- Can Having Sweets At Night Increase The Blood Sugar Levels In The Morning?
- What Does Having High Blood Sugar Feel Like?