High blood sugar is a condition which occurs if the transport of the sugar from the blood to the cells is affected. And this condition if left unchecked can lead to a dangerous rise in the sugar level, which can further invite many other problems and complications. So what level of blood sugar is dangerous and how to bring it down quickly? It is important to know about this and the ways to deal with it.
What Level of Blood Sugar is Dangerous?
A lot is spoken about high blood sugar levels and ways to keep them in control. With the rising incidence of diabetes, many people are concerned about their sugar levels and wish to plan a routine that keeps their blood sugar levels with the normal range. So, what level of blood sugar is dangerous and how to bring it down quickly? This is a commonly asked question. Let us look at it in detail.
An ideal range of blood sugar level is 90-160. A level which points towards 160-240 is a called a very high level. Above 240 the diabetes is listed as out of control. And if you have a blood sugar level of 300 or up, remember it’s a medical emergency and you need to get consulted immediately.
What are the Causes of High Blood Sugar?
Insulin is a hormone made by the pancreas. It helps in moving glucose from the digested food to the cells to be used as energy. High blood sugar can occur if the body does not have enough insulin. There are various conditions that affect the insulin function, thus resulting in high blood sugar. Some of the causes that contribute to high and even dangerous levels of blood sugar include the following,
- If a diabetic person misses taking the diabetes medication.
- Overeating, especially the food rich in carbohydrates.
- Lack of exercise or physical activity
- Infection or certain illnesses that cause the blood sugar to rise quickly.
- Intake of Certain medications such as steroids that affect sugar levels.
- Excessive and prolonged stress
What are the Symptoms of Dangerous Levels of Blood Sugar?
A patient with high blood sugar presents the symptoms such as a dry mouth, fatigue, dry, and itchy skin and an increased appetite. Some people also experience being more thirsty and increased frequency of urination, especially at night.
If not corrected early it can lead to symptoms of dangerous levels of blood sugar like difficulty in breathing, dizziness, rapid weight loss and confusion of mind. Blood sugar level of 300 or above is dangerous and if not treated a condition known as diabetic ketoacidosis or diabetic coma can occur.
How to Bring Down the Blood Sugar Level Quickly?
When level of blood sugar is dangerous, you need to bring it down quickly, to avoid further complications. When trying to lower down the sugar level quickly, be very careful, as the level can drop down too low, which can also be dangerous. Extremely low blood sugar levels is termed as hypoglycemia, which is equally common in diabetics. Hence, maintaining the blood sugar levels within the normal range is essential.
Few ways to bring down the level of blood sugar quickly include,
- Drink lot of water: Excess water dilutes the blood sugar and help to pass it out through urine. This way the sugar level drops down.
- If suffering from kidney or heart problem avoid this solution and follow medical advice.
- Exercise: Vigorous exercise increases heart rate. Increased heart rate for more than 15 minutes can increase the insulin response. This can help to bring down the level of blood sugar quickly.
- High protein snack: Protein helps in stabilizing the sugar level. Always check the high protein snack is not high in sugar level. Cheese and almond can be a good option.
- Insulin administration: Insulin helps in lowering down the sugar level quickly. Therefore a doctor’s advised dose can be taken. Never miss checking the sugar level after insulin administration, to prevent hypoglycemia.
All the above solutions prove to be very helpful to quickly bring down the sugar level. Always keep a handy snack when trying these tips to help, in case the sugar level dips too low.
Now that you are aware of what level of blood sugar is dangerous and how to bring it down quickly, you can plan a healthy routine. Blood sugar levels can be kept under control by exercising regularly, keeping a check on the carbohydrate intake, drinking plenty of water, eating fiber, and staying stress-free. Always keep your doctor informed before making any changes to your diet, lifestyle or medications. Keeping a regular check on the sugar level is the most important tip any person with diabetes should religiously follow.
- What Should My Blood Sugar Level be in the Morning?
- Importance of Blood Sugar Control & Measures to Control it
- Exercises & Yoga Poses To Control Blood Sugar
- Can Drinking A Lot Of Water Lower Your Blood Sugar?
- How Low Blood Sugar Affects Your Body?
- What Does Having High Blood Sugar Feel Like?