Foods To Eat After A Tooth Extraction
Tooth removal is one of the commonest tooth extraction procedures. Particularly wisdom tooth can cause problems for many, resulting in a tooth extraction. The question that arises what foods to eat after tooth extraction so that it helps in better healing and not cause pain. In this article, we give a brief overview of some of the foods to eat after a tooth extraction.
Foods To Eat After A Tooth Extraction
It is easy to guess that soft foods are best to eat during the recovery phase post a tooth extraction, but some soft foods may not taste good enough. It is important to know some of the best foods to eat after a tooth extraction. These foods are suggested by experts such that they are good to taste, nutritious for overall health and well being to support better healing.
Here is a lit of some of the best foods to eat after a tooth extraction.
- Applesauce. It has a smooth texture which is the best possible food to eat post a tooth extraction. Additionally, it has vitamin C and dietary fiber in it, which makes it a healthy food for your overall health. Eating applesauce requires very little jaw movements, which does not put any strain while eating. Hence, this is one of the foods to eat after a tooth extraction that also promotes faster healing.
- Ice Cream. This is probably one of the tastiest foods to eat after a tooth extraction. It is also recommended by the dentists, as it is cold, which helps arrest bleeding and allows the wound to heal faster. Among various forms of ice creams, the soft forms of plain ice creams are good. It is important to avoid nutty, crunchy or cone ice creams after a tooth extraction.
- Yogurt. Yogurt is smooth in texture and one of the most nutritious foods to eat after a tooth extraction. Make sure to eat just plain yogurt and not to add anything else which may require chewing. You can eat flavored yogurt or add pureed soft fruits to make it tastier and more nutritious to help faster wound healing.
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal, is also excellent food to eat after a tooth extraction. It is nutritious and filling but does not put excessive strain on the teeth post tooth extraction. Oatmeal can be flavored with mashed fruits, syrup, sugar, or jams for taste. You can also try instant wheat cream or as it is smoother in texture and is good for healing of the wound after a tooth extraction.
- Mashed Potato / Sweet potato. This too is an excellent and one of the most energizing foods to eat after a tooth extraction. Boiled and mashed potatoes do not require too much chewing and they also can be made tastier by adding a bit of salt and spices. A little bit of butter can also be added for taste. Alternatively, having boiled and mashed sweet potato is also a great idea.
- Smoothie. This is also one of the excellent foods to eat after a tooth extraction. It can be fresh, frozen, mixed with milk or yogurt. This blend makes it extremely healthy and a nourishing drink. Some protein powder can also be added to make it more nutritious. This drink is not only filling for the stomach, but also helps in quick healing after a tooth extraction.
- Pudding. If you get fed up with eating mashed potatoes or smoothies then you can try pudding as one of the foods to eat after a tooth extraction. Instant pudding comes in various flavors which are tasty to eat and also helps in the healing process after tooth extraction.
- Milkshake. Having a glass of milkshake after eating is also quite good and nutritious. It is recommended not to use any straw for drinking the milkshake, as it may hamper the healing process after a tooth extraction.
- Soups. Soup is yet another good food to eat after a tooth extraction. Soups come in different varieties and are a very tasty alternative for the normal food that we eat. It is easy to digest and also does not put any strain on the teeth and the jaw. Also, it contains a lot of chopped or mashed vegetables which are also nutritious for your health.
These are some of the best foods to eat after a tooth extraction. You can have them in a balanced way for better healing and improvement in your health after a tooth extraction.