Honey for Eyes: Is Honey Beneficial for Improving Eyesight?
Honey is a sweet food, rich in multiples vitamins and minerals. It is popular all across the globe for the last 2500 years and it is also used to cure various health issues including excess fat in the body and skin ailments. Honey is also used to cure eye problems including problems in eyesight, cataract and infections.
Is Honey Beneficial for Improving Eyesight?
Most of the problems in eyesight occur due to weakness in the adjoining muscular tissues in the eyes and poor functioning of the optical nerves that are directly linked with the central nervous system. Honey, being rich in protein, vitamin C, niacin and riboflavin etc. helps in strengthening the muscular tissues and enhances their performances. On the other hand, zinc, magnesium and iron present in honey strengthen the optical nerves very quickly. As a result, regular external use of honey on the eyes improves eyesight remarkably thus reducing all the symptoms of near and farsightedness and astigmatism along with other eye problems.
Ways to Use Honey for Improving Eyesight
Honey can be used in different ways on the eyes to improve eyesight. The most popular way of using honey is preparing eye drops and then using it regularly on the eyes. Along with the eye drops, many experts suggest to prepare eye wash to use it regularly on the eyes. Let us have a look at the different ways of using honey for eyesight issues.
- Preparation of Eye Drops with Honey for Improving Eyesight: For making eye drops with honey, the freshest form of honey is to be used. Honey is to be dissolved in the water in 1:2 ratio, i.e. 10gm of honey is to be mixed with 20gm of water. The water can then be used as eye drops, to apply on both the eyes at least 2-3 times daily.
- Preparation of Eye Wash with Honey to Improve Eyesight: To prepare eye wash, pure honey and water are to be taken in equal proportion. Water used in this solution needs to be pure and distilled. The preparation so formed could be used as eye wash for regular use.
- Internal Use of Honey for Improving Eyesight: A mixture of one table spoon of honey and two table spoon of carrot juice can be consumed daily to improve eyesight. In Indian Ayurveda, this mixture has been successfully used from very ancient times to improve eyesight and stop the formation of cataract.
The solutions so prepared for using on the eyes, either as drops or eye wash, should not be stored for more than 7 days. So, after every 7 days, it is advisable to prepare a new solution once again. Moreover, the first time user may feel a slight burning sensation for a few days initially, but that will disappear soon.
Chemical Composition of Honey
Honey is known for its various benefits. Either used for intake, in packs or used as drops and wash it serves the purpose effectively. Honey is rich source of various vitamins and minerals. In 100gm of honey the following ingredients are present –
- Carbohydrates- 82.4 gm
- Protein – 0.3 gm
- Vitamins present in honey are as follows –
- Riboflavin – 0.038 mg
- Niacin – 0.121mg
- Vitamin B6 – 0.024mg
- Pantothenic Acid – 0.068mg
- Vitamin C- 0.5mg
- Minerals present in honey are as follows –
- Calcium – 6mg
- Iron – 0.42 mg
- Magnesium – 2mg
- Phosphorus – 4mg
- Potassium – 52mg
- Zinc – 0.22mg
Most of these ingredients are immensely useful for the eyes and for improving eyesight.
Undoubtedly, honey is an authentic source of vitamins and minerals. Some of these ingredients are immensely beneficial for the eyes too. Poor eyesight is a common problem these days, especially in city based lifestyles. Even the teenagers and children are getting eyesight disturbances. In these circumstances, regular use of honey, both internally and externally can improve eyesight and cure eyesight related issues quite successfully.