Jaggery or Gur is known all around the world for its therapeutic as well as nutritional health benefits. This is a food prepared from fresh sugarcane juice, date, or palm juice and may vary in colors from dark to golden brown. Jaggery contains sugar in the form of sucrose. In this current article we will read about some of the benefits of jaggery or Gur.
Benefits of Jaggery or Gur:
Here below we will know about some of the benefits of Jaggery or Gur.
Benefits of Jaggery or Gur for Blood:
Jaggery or Gur has some real great benefits for blood. Some of the benefits include the following:
- It purifies the whole blood; especially when consumed on a daily basis.
- Jaggery or Gur helps in enhancing total blood haemoglobin count and also enhances immunity. This in turn aids in preventing many blood related disorders and blood related issues.
- Jaggery or Gur is known to help in preventing anaemia.
Skin Health Benefits of Jaggery or Gur:
Jaggery or Gur is also known to be beneficial for skin health. It contain rich amount of vitamins and minerals and thus is able to nourish the body, especially the skin. Some of the benefits of Jaggery or Gur to skin health include the following:
- It provides the skin smooth, healthy, hydrated and a glowing look
- Jaggery or Gur is known to cure acne and pimples.
Digestive Health Benefits of Jaggery or Gur:
Some of the digestive health benefits of Jaggery or Gur include the following:
- It reduces the risk of digestive disorders and act as a very good agent in maintaining proper functioning of the digestive system.
- Jaggery or Gur stimulates the secretion of digestive enzymes and gets converted to the acetic acid within the stomach; thus speeds up the digestion process by reducing overload of digestive tract.
- Jaggery or Gur provides good relief from flatulence, indigestion, intestinal worms, constipation etc, by stimulating the proper bowel movements.
Benefits of Jaggery or Gur in Treating Respiratory Issues:
Jaggery is also known to prevent respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis etc. One can take laddoos (A kind of Indian sweet) of Sesame seeds made with the use of jaggery or Gur and sesame seeds.
Jaggery or Gur is Beneficial in Treating Muscle and Joint Problems:
Jaggery or Gur is known to help in treating joint and bone problems and also helps in treating muscle related issues.
- Taking jaggery along with milk aids in making bones very strong and also provides relief from the bone and joint issues.
- Jaggery or Gur appropriately nourishes and strengthens the bones and joints by reducing joint pain and various other bone related problems.
- Jaggery or Gur strengthens muscles by providing instant energy.
Hair Health Benefits of Jaggery or Gur:
Jaggery or gur also has its benefits to hair health.
- Jaggery or gur being rich in iron; when eaten with Vitamin C rich foods like lemon juice, guavas, amla etc.; aids in getting healthy, smooth, long , black and strong hair
- Jaggery or Gur along with curd can be used before shampooing your hair; at least two times in a month.
Benefits of Jaggery or Gur for Immune System:
Jaggery contains a rich amount of antioxidants and minerals like zinc and selenium; which in turn aid in preventing free-radical damage and also enhances resistance against infections. So, it is known to be beneficial for immune system.
Benefits of Jaggery or Gur in Weight Loss:
Jaggery or Gur is also known to have surprising effects on reducing weight. This is so because, it is rich in potassium, a mineral that aids in the balance of electrolytes as well as helps in building muscles and boosting up body’s metabolism. Apart from this, potassium also aids in reducing water retention, which in turn helps in managing body weight.
Benefits of Jaggery or Gur for Women:
There are some fair benefits of Jaggery or Gur for women. The most important benefits is that it helps in curing various menstrual problems among women by providing relief from stomach pain which usually occur during periods.
Benefits of Jaggery or Gur for Men:
Jaggery or Gur along with amla powder daily; aids in improving quality and quantity of semen, reducing weakness, energizing the body and treating various urinary disorders in men.
Jaggery or Gur as a Energy Source for the Body:
Jaggery or gur is known to be an energy food. Being a complex carbohydrate, jaggery provides energy to the body gradually and also for a longer time. Jaggery or Gur also helps in preventing weakness and fatigue in the body.
Other Health Benefits of Jaggery or Gur:
Following are some other health benefits of Jaggery or Gur.
- It helps in getting a normal level of blood pressure. This is because of the presence of potassium and sodium in jaggery. Thus, it controls the blood pressure.
- Jaggery or Gur aids in treating flu-like symptoms. Mixing it with warm water and drinking the solution, or adding it to your tea instead of sugar can help you in relieving symptoms like cold and cough.
- It aids in cleansing the liver by flushing out harmful toxins from your body. Apart from this, it also helps in cleaning out different systems of the body like the respiratory tract, digestive tract etc.
- Jaggery or Gur aids in strengthening nervous system and thus aids in preventing various disorders of the nervous system.
- It is an excellent source of selenium or antioxidants which aids in preventing from the harmful effects of free radicals and thus slows down the risk of early ageing
- Jaggery or Gur also help in treating hiccups. You can eat dry ginger powder by mixing it with jaggery with lukewarm water which would help you get rid of hiccups.
- It aids in improving body’s metabolism. Potassium present in Jaggery or Gur helps in maintaining electrolyte balance, building muscles and also improves metabolism.
Jaggery or Gur can be used in various ways, like with milk, roasted chana, tea, water, powder and in various forms of laddoos. Always purchase jaggery prepared with organically produced sugarcane. Buy pure jaggery instead of refined ones from the market. You can store them in air tight container so as to prevent from moisture for many months. Place it in a cool and dry place.
It must be noted that though there are so many health benefits of Jaggery or Gur; there are some disadvantages like, a long term use can cause weight gain, intestinal worm etc. Apart from this, people suffering from ulcerative colitis and diabetes should avoid Jaggery or Gur. Also keep a note, not to take jaggery or Gur with radish and fish.
Keep a note that the amount of jaggery which should be taken regularly depends on the age, health conditions and requirement of the person. It is very essential to eat jaggery or gur within limit if an individual takes in on a regular basis. In general, one or two spoon full of Jaggery can be eaten everyday by a normal person.
Kindly consult a dietician or an expert to know the exact amount of Jaggery you can eat every day.