Coconut oil is considered good for people with epilepsy. Coconut oil has a compound called the Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) which proves to be effective in controlling seizures in patients with epilepsy.
Is Coconut Oil Good For Epilepsy?
Pieces of research have shown that the fatty acids present in coconut oil turn into ketones which reduces the episodes of seizures. The coconut oil contains MCTs which goes to the liver to turn into ketone bodies which induce ketosis which helps in controlling seizures. The MCTs present in coconut oil increases blood circulation thereby reducing the occurrence of seizures.
How to use coconut oil in the daily diet for reducing seizures? - Coconut oil is supposed to be consumed for effective results in the reduction of seizures. There are various ways to introduce coconut oil into daily diet-
- Coconut oil can be used as regular cooking oil for cooking food for people with epilepsy.
- Coconut oil can be used as a form of dressing in salads.
- People with epilepsy can use coconut oil as bread spread.
What Is The Dosage Of Coconut Oil To Be Consumed For People With Epilepsy?
Coconut oil proves to be beneficial and harmless only when consumed in the right amount for epilepsy. According to the medical guidelines, 20 grams of MCT is the treatment range. Such small amount of MCT can be covered by 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil daily. It should be remembered that a lot of consumption of coconut oil may not be beneficial and can bring other problems to play. Thus, a limited amount of the oil should be consumed.
What Are The Precautions Before Using Coconut Oil In The Diet?
It is essentially important to know the precautions to be taken before consuming coconut oil for epilepsy-
- It should be ensured that the epilepsy patient does not have any form of allergic conditions towards coconut oil. The regular doctor should be consulted to avoid any form of complications.
- It should also be ensured that pregnant or lactating women with epilepsy should take fewer amounts of coconut oil to avoid any form of risks during such crucial time.
What Are The Other Sources Of Increasing Ketones In People With Epilepsy?
Patients with epilepsy are usually recommended to follow a ketogenic diet. A ketogenic diet is characterized by very low carbohydrates and high-fat content diet. Such diets help in increasing ketones within the body which naturally reduces seizures.
- Ketogenic diet is especially proved as a treatment procedure for drug-resistant epilepsy in children.
- Ketogenic diet includes a large amount of fat which greatly increases the concentration of ketones in the blood.
What Are The Other Factors That Help Reduce Seizures?
It is important to understand that just having coconut oil may not be the wholesome sure for seizures in epilepsy. The patient has to opt for other prevention methods along with coconut oil.
- Taking antiepileptic medicines prescribed by the doctor is important. Skipping the doses of medicines will not prove to be beneficial in reducing the seizures.
- Patient should know the timings of the medicines along with the dose and its side effects.
- The patient should inform the doctor about other medications taken. It may happen so that the anti-seizure medicines may interfere with other medication. This may cause various unknown side effects which can be prevented if informed before-hand.
- Women of childbearing age should know the effects of anti-seizure medicines. If a woman plans for a family, it should be informed to the doctor.
- The patient should never miss the follow-up appointments with the doctor.