“Swelling anywhere in the body is never normal.” There are people who suffer from swelling of their teeth and gums. Swollen gums sometimes are accompanied by bleeding, pain and bad breath. There are various causes of swollen gums. One of the most common conditions may be chronic gingivitis which may cause swelling of gums. It is obvious that swollen gums are signs of any underlying condition which alerts you for the early diagnosis and treatments. So, it is surely an important task for everyone suffering from such a condition of swollen gums to go for an early detection of the condition and take the appropriate treatments to get rid of it. In this article we will study about the causes and some of the best ways to treat swollen gums and take a look on some of the most effective home remedies to get rid of swollen gums.
What Causes Swollen Gums?
Before we talk about the treatments, let us take an eye on some of the most important causes of swollen gums.
- Swollen Gums Caused due to Plaque and Tartar: Bacterial plaques are one of the major causes of swelling in gums. Calcified plaques are called as calcus or tartar which leads to gum swelling and can be removed only by a dentist.
- Swollen Gums Caused by Food: At times certain foods which we eat gets lodge in between the teeth or under the gums. If not cleaned properly, this can cause infection and swelling of gums in one or two days until the food is removed.
- Swollen Gums Caused as a Result of Allergic Reaction: Some people get allergic reactions with some ingredients present in the toothpaste, medication, and certain food. Such allergic reaction causes irritation and various symptoms including swelling of gums, redness and irritating pain.
- Old and Faulty Tooth Restoration: Swelling of gums is also seen because of the old and faulty teeth restoration.
- Gum Swelling Caused due to Misaligned Tooth: It is mostly seen that the misaligned teeth, like the crooked or the crowded teeth cause swelling of gums because of the fact that such teeth are difficult to clean and thus are more prone to the bacterial build up.
- Medications as a Cause for Swollen Gums: Certain medicines also cause the symptoms of swollen gums. The medications taken for controlling high blood pressure are known to cause swelling of gums
- Hormones: Some women especially during pregnancy get encountered with the swollen gums because of some changes in hormones.
- Abscesses: Tooth decay which gets spread into the dental nerve can sometimes cause gum swelling near the root of the tooth. Thus abscesses can cause swollen gums too.
Treatments to Get Rid of Swollen Gums:
Treatments for swollen gums begin with a doctor’s visit for a check up on the visible of notable symptoms in swollen gums. Your doctor may advice for some blood tests like CBC or Blood differential. Upon knowing your condition in swollen gum and the underlying causes for the swelling of gums, you dental provider will undergo the treatment procedures for relieving you from the symptoms and discomfort.
Following are Some of the Treatments to Get Rid of Swollen Gums:
- Removal of bacterial plaques and tartar build up can help treat gum swelling
- Regular dental cleaning and other procedures like scaling and root planning can be helpful to treat the swollen gum condition in gingivitis.
- Fluoride and topical medicines or rinses may be prescribed by your dentist for reducing the symptoms of swollen gums.
- Taking vitamin C and calcium tablets can help in getting rid of the symptoms of swollen gums.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Swollen Gums:
Who does not like to have an effective treatment at home? Here below are some of the most effective home remedies for swollen gums.
- Water as an Effective Home Remedy to Get Rid of Swollen Gums: “Water is the driving force of all nature.” This quote from Leonardo da Vinci tells about how important the water is. Drinking enough of water help in producing saliva in mouth which in turn functions in killing the bacteria and help in maintaining proper hygiene of the mouth. So, water is in fact the most crucial home remedy for swelling of gums.
- Hydrogen Peroxide Treatment for Swollen Gums at Home: Hydrogen peroxide is a wonderful antibacterial agent which improve the gums’ health and kills the germ build up in mouth. Swishing 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and water in and around the teeth and gums for at least 30 seconds can get you relief from pain in swollen gum condition. It must be noted not to swallow the liquid.
- Tea Tree Oil as a Home Remedy for Swollen Gums: Oils help in reducing pain and swelling of gums. Tea tree essential oil gets an instant relief from teeth and gums pain being a potent antibacterial substance. The essential oil from tea tree is to be massaged on the affected area of the gum to ease the pain, discomfort and swelling.
- Treating Swollen Gums at Home Using Asafetida: Asafetida is one more natural home remedy which is used for treating swollen gums and teeth pain. It is a pungent plat and its resin is used to prepare a blend with lemon juice in heated condition. Applying this mixture on the affected tooth or the swollen gum will help in provide instant pain relief and reduce swelling.
- Home Remedy for Swollen Gums Using Rose Essence: Rose essence along with lemon juice can also help in relieving pain and reducing swelling of gums. You can prepare a concoction taking the lemon juice from half a lemon and mixing with 50 gram of rose flower essence. This mixture is to be held in the mouth for some seconds to minute and the procedure must be repeated several times a day.
- Aloe Vera an Effective Home Remedy for Swollen Gums: Aloe vera is one more effective home remedy for treating swelling of the gums. The affected gums can be rubbed with the aloe vera gel and then requires a gargling with water for best relief in swollen gums. This is to be repeated several times a day for best results.
- Baking Soda to Treat Swollen Gums at Home: Baking soda is one more effective home remedy which can be used to treat swelling of gums. Prepare a mixture from salt, baking soda and turmeric powder for the best results and apply the mixture in the affected portion of the gums.
- Salt Water Rinse to Treat Swollen Gums at Home: Plain salt water solution can also work as an excellent home remedy for swollen gums. The salt and warm water solution is used to rinse your mouth which acts in fighting infection and prevents further build up of bacteria or causing further swelling in gums.
- Home Remedy for Swollen Gums Using Arabica Bark: Boiling the bark from the Arabica tree and reducing it to almost half the quantity and gargling the liquid can help in reducing the swollen gums and pain.
- Bayberry to Treat Gum Swelling at Home: Bayberry also helps in treating swollen gums. A paste made from bayberry and vinegar can be used once in a week for strengthening the gums and preventing from inflammation or swelling and pain.
- Castor Seeds: A paste made by mixing castor seeds oil and camphor can be used to apply on the swollen gums for best relief.
- Lemon: Lemon juice boiled in one glass of water is to be gargled for at least two times a day for treating swollen gums at home.
Some of the best home care tips for swollen gums includes the following:
- Eating healthy can be an effective home care for swollen gums. Take lots of vitamin and calcium rich food for best of the teeth and gums health.
- Drink plenty of water for best home care in swollen gums
- Brush your teeth two times a day and floss daily. Maintaining a proper oral hygiene helps in treating swollen gums and pain in teeth.
- Avoid the things that irritate or cause symptoms of swelling, pain in gums or teeth. Certain foods can cause swollen gums. It is required to limit such foods. In case medications cause irritation or swelling of gums, it is essential to talk with your doctor and go for a replacement on the same.
- Stress can also cause sore gums or swollen gums. So, avoid excessive stress.
Now that we are known to some of the best home remedies and treatments for swollen gums, it is essential for us to take the necessary steps in case of anyone suffers from swollen gums. It must be noted that a strict medical check up is necessary in case the swollen gums or any of the symptoms like irritation, pain, redness of gums or bleeding gums remain for more than two weeks. Moreover, it is always a great idea to keep self prevented. So, maintain proper oral hygiene, taking balanced diet, drinking plenty of water and having a dental check up in every six month can be helpful in safeguarding self from the symptoms of swollen gums.