The level of acidity in food can be told by the pH value. Our stomach is at a level of 3.5 and this helps food of all kinds to break down properly. The pH level of 7 is neutral like distilled water and pH level of 0 defines a food to be highly acidic. Any food item that has a pH level of 4.5 or below is considered to be acidic for the stomach. Too much consumption of such food may cause trouble in your stomach.
Which Foods Are Acidic?
The usual food items that are known to be acidic are citrus fruits, sugar, animal protein like fish, beef and meat, grains and dairy products.
A List Of Raw Food And Their Level Of Acidity In The Stomach
- Citrus fruits like lemon and lime have low pH level. The pH level of lime is 2.0 to 2.8., for lemon juice it is 2.0 to 2.9, for grapes it is 2.9 to 3.8, for berries the pH level is on an average of 3 to 4. Such fruits can cause gastrointestinal reflux or ulcer. Fruit juices also have low pH level hence it is suggested to use a straw while having it to avoid direct contact with the mouth.
- Not all vegetables are acidic in nature. Fresh vegetables like cabbage (pH level 5.2 to 6.8), corn (pH level 5.9 to 7.5) and mushrooms (pH level 6 to 6.7) are acidic in the stomach.
Processed And Cooked Foods That Is Acidic In The Stomach
- Drinks which contain phosphorus are acidic in nature like beer, hot chocolate or cocoa.
- Any kind of fried food not only contains fat but slows down the process of digestion. Due to this, excess amount of acid is left in the stomach or even moves to the oesophagus. This may lead to acidity or acid reflux.
- Any kind of sweet that is baked and processed with artificial colours and added preservatives can turn acidic in the stomach. Also these sweets like brownies contain flour (enriched) and refined white sugar both of these elements having very low pH level.
- Coffee is known to act as a laxative and its caffeine content when increases in the stomach lead to acidity as the secretion of gastric acid occurs at a higher level. Coffee can also lead to acid reflux.
- Any kind of carbonated drink like a soda pop increases the level of pressure within the stomach raising the level of acidity (since more acid is released to response to the pressure).
- Spicy food is known to cause acid reflux. Chilli and sauces are some of the spices which play a major role in causing acidity.
- Alcohol is known to raise the level of gastric acid in the stomach. When your body detoxes, you may wake up in the middle of the night feeling dehydrated. This may lead to poor digestion and acid reflux.
- Meat is one of the hardest things to digest. Due to the high fat and protein content, more acid is required to digest the food. Even though fish, chicken and turkey may be low in pH level, a meat steak may cause acidity in your stomach. Milk leads to secretion of acid in excess especially if you take in milk if your stomach is full. Chilled milk on the other hand helps one to relieve aid reflux temporarily.
Tips to Avoid Acidity In The Stomach Caused Due To Foods
Some of the daily habits you can inculcate to avoid acidity are:
- Exercise daily to improve your process of blood circulation and digestion in the stomach.
- Chew your food well before swallowing as swallowing break down the large compounds and make them easily digestible.
- Choose to take smaller meals every few hours than to take in three heavy meals a day.
- Avoid over-eating to reduce acidity in the stomach.