Various treatment options, as well as other methods, are available to provide a faster recovery of the patient suffering from mononucleosis. The treatment provided to the patient is to manage the symptoms.
How Can I Get Rid Of Mono Fast?
Treatment strategy for mononucleosis is directed to reduce the symptoms as the condition can be subsided after a few weeks. However, to provide a fast recovery to the patients, various options are available to increase the immunity and effective management of symptoms. Following are the options to fasten the recovery from mononucleosis.
- Plenty Of Fluids. The mono patients should drink plenty of water and should also include fruit juices in the daily routine. The fruit juices help to increase the immunity while water flushes out the toxins from the body. Further, fluid also reduces the risk of dehydration.
- Rest. During a viral infection, the body fights against the infection. Thus, all the energy is directed towards increasing the efficacy of the immune system. Due to this the mono patient feels fatigue and is characterized by weakness in the body. Thus, the patient should undergo rest and should have a sound sleep.
- Healthy Diet. The mono patient should take a healthy diet as it will help to increase the immune system of the body and to fight against infection. Further, this will also reduce the risk of opportunistic infection. Fruits and immunity enhancing food should be incorporated in the diet such as foods rich in vitamin C. Further, beta-glucan supplementation should also be provided to the patient.
- Herbal Therapy. Various alternative treatments such as herbal therapy; acupuncture and homeopathic system of medicine are also available for faster recovery of the patient and also to manage symptoms. The herbs include cranberry, astragalus, green tea, berberine, echinacea, and olive leaf extract. Acupuncture helps improve immunity, reduces congestion and prevents swelling of spleen and liver. Various medications such as Ferrum phosphonicum, phytolacca and mercurius are also prescribed by homeopaths.
- Avoid Contact Sports. If the mono patient wants to have a fast recovery from mononucleosis, he should refrain himself from the contact sports such as football or wrestling as it may lead to the rupture of the spleen. Swelling of the spleen may occur in mononucleosis.
- Avoid Alcohol. In some cases of mononucleosis, there is a swelling in the liver. Intake of alcohol further worsens the condition and may increase the treatment period. Thus, the intake of alcohol should be avoided during mononucleosis.
Symptoms Of Mono
When the disease occurs in childhood, there are either no symptoms or the patient suffers a few symptoms. However, when the disease gets contracted in the adult people, it presents various symptoms. Following are the symptoms generally found in the patients suffering from mononucleosis.
- Swollen spleen
- Swollen lymph nodes
- A headache
- Skin rash
- Night Sweats
- A sore throat
- Swollen tonsils
Traditional Treatment For Mono
Treatment of mononucleosis is done to manage the symptoms of the disease. Following are the treatment options available.
- Pain Reliever. The body is fighting against the infection; thus, the patient feels weakness and pain in the body. Further, the patient presents the symptoms of a sore throat including pain and inflammation. Pain relieving drugs such as ibuprofen or aspirin are prescribed to the patients.
- Fever. There is an increase in the temperature of the body above normal due to the presence of infection. Thus, antipyretic drugs such as paracetamol can be given to the patient.
- Antibiotics. Antibiotics are not generally used in the patient suffering from mononucleosis as the causative agent is virus. But, in some case, in order to treat the opportunistic infections such as a bacterial sore throat, antibiotics can be prescribed.
- Corticosteroids. Many doctors do not write steroids as they further reduce the activity of the immune system. However, when the benefit outweighs the risk such as in the condition of severe inflammation in spleen or liver, steroids can be prescribed.
Various methods to get rid of mononucleosis fast includes a healthy diet, rest, plenty of fluids, avoiding alcohol and abstaining from playing contact sports.
- Mono Infection or Pfeiffer’s Disease: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Complications
- Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) or Glandular Fever or Kissing Disease: Causes, Treatment
- Treatment for Mono Infection or Pfeiffer’s Disease: Alternative Medicine & Treatment,Diet, Prognosis
- Monophobia or Fear of Being Alone: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention
- How Do You Get Mono & How Long is it Contagious?
- How Long Does Mono Last & Ways To Get Rid Of It?
- Monoarthritis: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Diagnosis