Soft bald patch on scalp is a disorder in human that causes hair loss on the scalp generally in patches. It is also known as Alopecia areata. As per American Hair Loss Control, it is reported that most American men, women, and children suffer from Alopecia areata. Generally, Soft bald patch on scalp can occur at any time in an individual. It usually occurs for some period of time only – the hair again automatically grows up within a year. However, it is also seen that the problem of bald scalp remains for a longer time and sometimes the baldness remains for the lifetime. Thus, it’s a serious problem which needs to be dealt with effectively as soon as possible.
What Can Cause Soft Bald Patch on Scalp?
There can be various reasons for soft bald patch on scalp or Alopecia areata. Some of the major reasons for soft bald patch or Alopecia areata are as follows:
Autoimmune Reaction: Autoimmune disease is a serious disease by which the immune system of our body mistakenly attacks the healthy cell of the body. The main function of the immune system is to guard our body against various types of germs such as bacteria, virus, etc. When our immune system finds any foreign invaders in our body, it attacks them so that they cannot cause any harm to our body. In case of an autoimmune disease, the immune system of our body mistakenly thinks our essential part of our body as a foreign cell. Then as per as its function, it starts fighting with the essential body parts treating it to be a foreign cell and it releases a huge amount of proteins called as autoantibodies to attack our healthy cells. Due to function, the cells that were there under the hair follicles are attacked. As a result, the hair which was there in the affected area comes out causing baldness in that area. The proportion by which hair comes out usually differs from person to person. In some people, only a small amount of hair comes out whereas in others it may cause huge hair loss.
Genetic Factor: It is also found that the genetic factor is also a very important reason for soft bald patch or Alopecia areata. According to research, 40% of people under the age of 30 suffer from soft bald patch on scalp due to a genetic factor. If any of the parents have this condition, then there is a great chance that their children will also suffer from soft bald patch on scalp at some stage of their life.
Certain Pre-existing Disease Causing Soft Bald Patch: It is seen that if a person suffers from diseases like asthma, pernicious anemia, Down syndrome, thyroid problems, hay fever and vitiligo skin disease then they have a greater chance of having soft bald patch. High stress and hypertension is also thought to be one of the main reasons for it. However, it has not been proved yet.
Treatment for Soft Bald Patch on Scalp or Alopecia Areata
Unfortunately, soft bald patch is a disease which can’t be cured completely; however, there are some treatments which help in growing back the hair on the bald scalp of the person suffering from it. The treatments include:
- Corticosteroids: It is a type of anti-inflammatory drugs that doctors usually prescribe to deal with autoimmune diseases. This drug can be taken in different forms, as an injection, pills, cream, ointment or foam. However, taking as an injection into the scalp or the other affected area is more effective as it can work more quickly than the other forms.
- Immunotherapy: It is a process by which the new hair can grow on the bald area of the scalp. In this therapy, a chemical called diphenylcyclopropenone is applied on the scalp that generally produces an allergic reaction. It is due to this allergic reaction that new hair grows up in the bald area. This chemical may sometimes cause an itchy rash but you should not stop applying it on the scalp instead should use it several times so that new hair can grow on that area.
- Minoxidil for Treating Soft Bald Patch: It is another useful treatment for soft bald patch or Alopecia areata. It is actually a treatment for speeding up the natural hair cycle. It is also used to increase the diameter of the hair that starts growing up on the bald scalp.
- Anthralin: It is another type of chemical that is applied to the bald scalp to cause irritation which helps in stimulating the regrowth of hair early.
However, the treatment of soft bald patch depends on the various factors such as the age of the patient, amount of hair loss, and also the comfort level of the treatment. Some patients do not like to apply those creams and ointments that cause irritation. For them, patient injection or pills are better than applying the cream directly on the bald scalp.
Soft bald patch or alopecia areata though not a serious disease but it can cause huge sadness to the patient. As such it is always recommended to wear wigs, hats or scarves to protect the hair from harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. Although, soft bald patch cannot be cured completely, the condition can be managed well with the help of proper treatment.
- Scalp Psoriasis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis, Home Remedies
- What Causes Lumps on Scalp and Natural Remedies to Get Rid of It
- Cyst on Scalp: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Scalp Conditions that Cause Hair Loss & its Treatment
- What Causes Itching in Scalp: Treatment & Home Remedies to Get Rid of Itching in Scalp
- Can Dry Scalp Cause Hair Loss?
- 10 Scalp Problems You Should Not Brush Off