Link Between Obesity And Knee Pain & How Can Weight Loss Affect Knee Pain?
Obesity And Knee Pain: Overview
Obesity in today’s world is a major cause for concern as more and more people are reportedly deemed as being overweight by physicians when they go for their annual checkup or go to the physician for some problem. Knee pain is also one of the common symptoms that people go to a physician with. Normally, people associate Knee Pain with some pathological condition of the bones or ligaments in the knees, but little is known that being overweight can also cause Knee Pain. This is so because when you are overweight the weight of the upper extremity is bore by the lower extremity and most importantly the knees. This puts a lot of pressure on the knees and gradually the knees start to feel the pinch of the extra weight and that is when you start feeling knee pain as the cartilage in the knee starts to wear more quickly than it should because of the extra weight it has to bear due to obesity. Being overweight also results in faster degeneration of the joints predisposing the individual to conditions like osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
Link Between Obesity And Knee Pain?
A recent study conducted in England to look for possible connections of knee pain with the body mass index of a person came to a conclusion that females with a higher BMI or Body Mass Index were more prone to knee pain than a female of normal weight. This is so because obesity results in release of a hormone called leptin, which some studies suggest plays a role in development of osteoarthritis. Additionally, excess body fat releases substances that result in inflammation in the body with resulting osteoarthritis.
How Can Weight Loss Affect Knee Pain?
If you have an ideal weight or a normal BMI, then it reduces the risk of developing many medical conditions like heart conditions, diabetes, hypertension and the like.
Coming to the question of how losing weight helps knee pain, it does so in two ways. Firstly, it decreases the pressure that is being put on the knees by the weight of the body, which results in less wear and tear of the cartilages in the knees meaning that the knees stay healthier for a longer period of time. Secondly, it reduces inflammation in the body which decreases the risk of developing osteoarthritis and hence there is less wear and tear of the knee joints.
What Are Some Easy Ways To Lose Weight In A Healthy Manner?
To sum it up, if you are overweight and are suffering from persistent knee pain then weight loss by healthy means is the best way to get rid of knee pain. It may look tough to begin with, but if you incorporate them in your daily routine then with time it becomes much easier to lose weight. Some of the ways to get rid of extra weight are:
- Avoid junk foods like pizzas or burgers.
- Eat at least one vegetable a day.
- Take a walk after having dinner every day, may be take your dog for a walk.
- Whenever you could try and avoid lift or escalator and take steps to office.
- Try and not eat outside food.
- Reduce the fried or oily foods.
- Try to participate more in physical activities or exercise rather than being sedative.
- Lastly, consult your dietician for reducing the obesity.
- What is Knee Pain and Home Remedies for Knee Pain!
- Obesity: Classification, Causes, Complications, Treatment- Diet Control, Medications, Exercises, Surgery
- Obesity: Indoor Aerobic Exercises to Help Obese Patients Lose Weight, Exercise Guide
- Can Shoe Inserts Cause Knee Pain?
- Knee Pain While Walking Downstairs: Causes, Treatment, Exercises
- What Causes Knee Pain When Squatting or Bending?
- Obesity and Back Pain: Can Having a Big Belly Cause Back Pain
- Dangers Related to Obesity
- How Does Obesity Affect Male and Female Fertility and Pregnancy?
- Disability Benefits for Knee Pain