How Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) Can Impact Your Ability To Work?
The Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) is a mental illness which causes too much fear and worrying about different things. It can hamper you from your daily activities and also your ability to work or make a living.
Different Types Of Anxiety Disorders:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Disorder of Obsessive-Compulsiveness (OCD)
- Phobic disorder
- Disorder of Post-Traumatic-Stress (PTSD)
- Disorder of Social Anxiety.
Symptoms Of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD):
Physical Symptoms Of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) That Can Impact Your Ability To Work:
- Dizziness is caused due to over thinking.
- Heartbeat is faster(severe palpitations)
- Muscle pains
- Fear and trembling
- The mouth gets dry
- Too much of sweating
- Breathing is difficult
- Aches in the stomach
- Feeling sick always
- Regular Headache
- Pins and needles
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep.
Psychological Symptoms Of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) That Can Impact Your Ability To Work:
- Feeling of getting worried
- A fear of losing something in life
- Concentration becomes difficult
How Can Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) Impact Your Working Ability?
Even though GAD is not physical sickness, it can affect the capabilities to perform different kinds of work. People who experience attacks related to panic, trembling, or other different effects of GAD will have trouble to do the tasks, which often require perfection. The different jobs, that require manual labor, are harmful for those who have attacks of anxiety. People who suffer from disorder related to anxiety also have muscle pains, which make it very difficult for them to do physical work.
A disorder related to anxiety has various impacts on emotional thinking capacity. If you suffer from, generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), the disorder of this kind will really make things difficult for people to work. This type of behavior can really make it difficult for them to coordinate with their employers in their companies. This makes it difficult for them to remain in one place for a long period.
People who have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) sometimes also have obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), which can have greater difficulty in the work place. The people who are suffering with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) cannot handle different environments. Most of the employees with these types of anxiety find it difficult to be employed at one place for a job since the working condition does not suit them.
The cases of anxiety do not help you to work for a long period since you find it difficult concentrating for long hours. If you are diagnosed with a disorder of anxiety, which has lasted for more than a year then it is surely going to affect your performance at work.
Anxiety Attack After Lunch Hours At Work:
There are many who suffer generalized anxiety attacks after they have had a complete meal. The digestive system does not cope with the thinking that is going on in your mind. The blood supplies in the body increases because the heartbeats are faster. You start worrying about your heart and this causes breathlessness, due to over thinking. Read more about generalized anxiety attacks after lunch.
Social Security Disability Benefits For Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD):
In US, generalized anxiety disorder has led many people to become disabled. Suppose you think you are qualified for Social Security Disability benefits based on disorder of anxiety or generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), you will have to meet the doctor who will examine you. The symptoms such as lack of confidence, always on the move, always having the fear of something is going to happen, worrying about safety issues, all these are results of the stress in the mind.
The above-mentioned conditions must make it difficult for you to work anywhere. You may find it difficult to work and so you may require a Social Security Disability lawyer to represent you when making a Social Security Disability claim based on anxiety disorders that you are suffering from.
Managing Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) Attacks At Workplace:
- Work: You have to keep working to avoid lack of self-esteem and also engaging in an activity without pressure will reduce ‘worrying thoughts’.
- Tell A Trusted Coworker: You must have a companion who understands you and helps you when you are getting a panic attack at work.
- Educate Yourself: The symptoms of your disorder can be resolved simply by studying the factors when they occur and their symptoms.
- Stop Worrying for some days by engaging yourself in some sports activities or listening to music, reading a book etc.
- If talking about the problem or relaxation techniques does not work, seek the proper medical treatment.
7 Life Style Modifications That Can Help You In Workplace While Coping With Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD):
Living with generalized anxiety disorder can be a lifetime if not dealt with in the proper manner. They occur due to mood swings and too much of worrying. Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) improves with different medications or talk therapy (psychotherapy). Making lifestyle changes, learning coping skills and using relaxation techniques also can help. The help that can be offered to you by yourself is by simply changing your lifestyles and getting involved in different activities like relaxation etc.
- You need to sleep well and not worry. You must take quality sleep and not just lie on the bed. If you have trouble sleeping, do not get worried and talk to your doctor about it. If you have trouble relaxing, you should talk to your doctor about relaxation techniques.
- Relaxation method includes different activities like yoga and meditation. This method can help to give you relief, anxiety and improve your ability to focus on a task.
- You need to follow a good diet to get relief from anxiety. A healthy diet may provide some relief from your anxiety. Your eating habits play an important role in dealing with anxiety. You must stop eating fatty foods and sweets.
- Daily exercise will also decrease your anxiety. Exercise is a great way to reduce worry and divert your mind. It can lift your mood while making you more physically healthy. Do not do heavy exercises that can cause you trouble.
- You should not consume alcohol or drugs of any type. These substances may seem to give you temporary relief from your worry, but over time, they make the condition worse.
- The help groups are also available for helping you out. These groups include people who have a same problem. Attending a help group may help you understand yourself better. You can learn how other people with anxiety disorders work on themselves and help you to improve too.
- Lifestyle changes are only a help that can change your life rather than always worrying. You should do all these things with the consultation of the doctor.