Concentration is putting your mind on one single thing at a time. It is an important, fundamental, and crucial factor which determines the success of a person.
Working with chaos is very difficult. With the senses being prone to easy distractions, the break in concentration is very common.
A few common distraction sources are:
- A sudden sound from a distance
- A text from someone
- A ping from social media
- Even, a thought in a mind
- Negative feelings
- Doing things which are of no interest to self
How frequently we get distracted depends on how weak our concentration span is.
Concentration can be enhanced and there are definitely few most powerful and proven techniques which can help you with it. An improved concentration helps us construct the inner thoughts, motivation, and move towards the goals which we have in our brains.
A study shows the preschoolers who have a hard time paying attention have an increased risk of lagging behind in the school (1). One more study shows the preschoolers who can concentrate and persist on the task have 50 percent more chance of completing the college (2).
10 Tips To Improve Concentration
- Choose An Environment If you really want to focus, an apt environment is very important. It should be calm, should have lesser distractions, proper lighting, and comfortable seating. Keep the food and water near so that the hunger and thirst do not add on to the distraction factor.
- Set a Time Setting up a time target helps you try to achieve the goal in a certain time period. It will give a sense of accomplishment and help you keep on the task. This helps increase your drive towards the goal which in turn lessen the distractions.
- Remove The Negative Thoughts Stop focussing on the negative thoughts and concentrate on the positives. Always thinking that your concentration is bad actually makes it worse. Positivity is a very important habit which needs to be inculcated in everybody’s behavior.
- Try And Have Control Over Your Thoughts Controlling thoughts is a bit difficult but with practice, it can improve. There should be control over the wandering mind while at work. The trick is to cut off the irrelevant thoughts and keep the relevant ones on track.
- Avoid Multitasking Most of us are involved in multitasking due to the demand from the lifestyle, but none realize it that it is a hurdle in concentration. Mono-tasking improves concentration and helps let you focus.
- Do Things Of Interest When you choose to do, what you have an interest in, you are able to concentrate more on it. If you do things when do not attract you, you will tend to lose the focus every time. Therefore it is best to leave it and do what you love.
- Cut Noise If Possible While working, cut off the noise. Put the phone in silent mode, find an isolated corner, and put in earplugs. The quality of work improves in a calm environment. Any type of noise plays a big role in disturbing the concentration.
- Diet Diet plays an important role in improving concentration power. If the diet lacks the essential vitamins and minerals to tend to feel weak and lethargic, this might disturb your concentration. What you eat also impacts the concentration, such as eating oily and fatty food might make you feel sleepy and distract you.
- Know Your Peak Times Just because your colleague is a night owl, doesn’t mean you can also work at that. Understand what time you can give your best. There are certain times in the day when your concentration can work its best. Choose that time and get going.
- Concentration Exercise There are many exercises which can help you improve the focus on mind and body. The exercises also help you improve memory. Meditation is a very important and powerful tool to increase concentration power. Also, to meditate you need some degree of concentration. It benefits the body in many other ways as well.
Improving concentration is a slow process and you need time and practice to achieve it. It helps achieve goals and improve performance in all the spheres of life.