Treatment of Insipidus Diabetes & its Recovery, Prognosis, Complications, Prevention, Coping
When the kidney of a person pass abnormally large volumes of insipid urine which is dilute and free from odour, the person is said to be suffering from insipidus diabetes. Insipidus diabetes is a rare disorder. This article explains about the treatment for insipidus diabetes, its recovery period/healing time, complications, prevention, coping, exercises and yoga.
Treatment for Insipidus Diabetes
Methods of treatments in case of insipidus diabetes or diabetes insipidus depends on the form of insipidus diabetes with which a person is diagnosed with. Some of the common treatment procedures are as follows:
Treatment for Central Insipidus Diabetes
Central type of insipidus diabetes results due to lack of proper secretion of anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) into the blood stream and thus it can be easily treated by supplying desmopressin which is a synthetic hormone into the body. It can be taken in various forms such as injections, tablets or a nasal spray. It is a very safe treatment procedure and works perfectly in most cases. However, if the doctor detects any abnormality in pituitary gland, the first approach is to try to rectify it.
While taking desmopressin, it is important to take it according to the requirements of body which keeps on changing from day to day. Thus, the dosage of desmopressin must be adjusted accordingly. If it is taken in access, there is risk of level of sodium falling below required level leading to complications such as headache, lethargy, nausea etc...
Treatment for Nephrogenic Insipidus Diabetes
Nephrogenic type of insipidus diabetes is caused due to inability of the kidney to respond to ADH and thus it cannot be treated by injecting desmopressin into the body. Instead, patient is required to follow a low-sodium diet and drink surplous water to maintain proper level of fluids in body.
Hydrochlorothiazide is a type of drug which is also useful in case of patients of nephrogenic insipidus diabetes as it can control the urine output. It can be taken alone or with other medications.
In some cases, nephrogenic insipidus diabetes can also result due to intake of some specific medicines and thus if you stop taking them, the problem can be rectified. However, it is important to first consult with your doctor before take any action.
Treatment for Gestational Insipidus Diabetes
Desmopressin is mostly effective in treating the symptoms of gestational insipidus diabetes except in the case where abnormality of thirst mechanism is causing the symptoms. However, such cases are rare.
Treatment for Primary Polydipsia Type of Insipidus Diabetes
Primary polydipsia cannot be treated using any of the medication and thus all a patient can do is reduce the amount of intake of water as much as possible. However, if the condition is arising due to some mental illness, it can be treated by treating the underlying mental illness.
Recovery Period/Healing Time for Insipidus Diabetes
The time required for recovery in case of insipidus diabetes can depend on many parameters such as type, intensity and mode of treatment. It is thus recommended to seek help from your doctor for all your queries regarding recovery time or reoccurrence.
Complications in Insipidus Diabetes
Dehydration is a Complication of Insipidus Diabetes
Mostly a person suffering from Is there anything that relieves you from insipidus diabetes can easily get dehydrated because of excessive loss of water through urination except in the case of primary polydipsia, where there is tendency to retain excessive. Dehydration of the body can lead to several complication as the body lacks the amount of water needed to perform regular life processes. Some of dehydration complications in insipidus diabetes are as follows:
- Rise of level of sodium in blood (hypernatremia).
- Drying of mouth.
- Lowering of blood pressure (hypotension).
- Drying of skin and reduction of elasticity.
- Loss of weight.
- Speedy heart rate.
Another Complication in Insipidus Diabetes is Electrolyte Imbalance
Insipidus diabetes can become a complication and lead to imbalance of electrolytes in your body. Electrolytes are the important minerals present in our body including sodium and potassium that helps in ensuring proper balance of fluids in the body. Imbalance of electrolytes can result in one of more of the following symptoms in body:
Prevention of Insipidus Diabetes
Usually, there are no prevention methods for insipidus diabetes especially those inherited from the parents of family. However, some forms of insipidus diabetes that are caused by injuries in the head or some sort of medications can be prevented. Always take medications on prescription from a doctor or medical experts. Never ignore any signs of insipidus diabetes on starting any medication, even if it is not very severe. Avoid injuries to head as far as possible, especially by using helmets and seat belts while driving.
Coping with Insipidus Diabetes
Insipidus diabetes can lead to some change in your routine as you might have to wake up for urinating and even increase the frequency of urine discharge. However, as long as you keep your body well hydrated, you would not feel anything. Thus, the best way to keep your life normal is to drink a lot of fluids and water and possibly carry water every time to go out to school, college or with your friends and family.
Lifestyle Changes for Insipidus Diabetes
Following changes in lifestyle can help you cope up with insipidus diabetes:
- Preventing dehydration is a good lifestyle change for insipidus diabetes. It is necessary for a person diagnosed with insipidus diabetes to ensure that right level of fluids and maintained and this can be done by drinking lots of water. Develop a habit of carrying water with you when you go out, so that you always have access to water.
- Patients of insipidus diabetes must always have medical card in their wallet or use a medical alert bracelet. In this way it is very easy for a doctor or the medical experts to quickly recognise your condition in case of any emergency and offer suitable treatment immediately.
- Your diet or eating habits are not related with cause of insipidus diabetes in majority of the cases and thus there is no need to make any changes.
Prognosis/Outlook for Insipidus Diabetes
It is true that insipidus diabetes results due to inability of the kidney to retain right amount of water but it is not a life threatening disease and will not result into failure of kidneys. Kidneys can efficiently perform all the other functions without getting affected by occurrence of Insipidus Diabetes.
- Insipidus diabetes responds very well to the various treatment procedures and can be used for a long term without causing any side effects. A patient just needs to always maintain the right amount of fluids in the body and go for regular checkups so that the doctor can determine any complications and analyze response to treatment procedure being followed.
- There is no risk of life in case of insipidus diabetes especially in adults as long as one maintains the fluids in the body. However, the risk of complication can increase in case of a person with surgery or acute illness and is more prone to hypernatraemia, severe dehydration, fever, cardiovascular collapse and loss of life in extreme case.
- The risk of complications is higher in case of children who have insipidus diabetes right from the birth or just after the birth as it is very hard to rectify the problem.
Exercises for Insipidus Diabetes
Exercises do not seem to help much in treatment of insipidus diabetes, except from keeping your body fit. However, if you are exercising leads to loss of water from the body in the form of sweating. Thus, it is important to avoid too much of exertion if you are suffering from insipidus diabetes.
Yoga for Insipidus Diabetes
While there are no strong evidences to prove that yoga can help in treatment of insipidus diabetes but some people suggests that the symptoms of insipidus diabetes can be completely eradicated from the roots by following certain yoga asanas. However, yoga is always good for the body and helps in boosting the body with energy and concentration.