Hypomagnesemia– Magnesium is a mineral and is extremely critical for appropriate functioning of the body. Magnesium facilitates regulation of blood pressure, keeps the bones strong, and steadies the rhythm of the heart, but due to some conditions the levels of magnesium becomes low in the body resulting in numerous complications.
In this article, we will discuss in detail about:
- What is Hypomagnesemia?
- Causes of Hypomagnesemia
- Symptoms of Hypomagnesemia
- Diagnosis of Hypomagnesemia
- Treatment of Hypomagnesemia
- Prognosis and Complications of Hypomagnesemia
- Prevention of Hypomagnesemia
What Is Hypomagnesemia?
Magnesium as stated is an extremely crucial mineral required by the body for adequate functioning. Magnesium regulates the blood pressure and is useful for strengthening of the bones, but when the levels of magnesium start to get decreased and becomes lower than the level required by the body, this condition is called Hypomagnesemia.
How Is Hypomagnesemia Caused?
Some Of The Causes For Hypomagnesemia Are:
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Excessive burns in the body
- Chronic diarrhea
- Celiac disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
What Are The Symptoms Of Hypomagnesemia?
Symptoms Of Hypomagnesemia Include:
- Presence of nystagmus
- Excessive fatigue
- Muscle spasms
- Muscle weakness
How Is Hypomagnesemia Diagnosed?
In order to diagnose Hypomagnesemia, the treating physician will conduct a detailed physical examination and will order the following tests:
- Blood tests to look for levels of calcium
- Do a comprehensive metabolic panel
- Blood test to look at the level of magnesium, potassium.
What Are The Treatments For Hypomagnesemia?
Some of the treatments rendered for Hypomagnesemia are:
- Supplementation of magnesium intravenously or orally
- Medication for relief of symptoms
What Is The Prognosis And Complications Of Hypomagnesemia?
The prognosis of Hypomagnesemia is dependent on the condition that is causing it.
Complications Of Hypomagnesemia Include:
- Cardiac arrest
- Respiratory arrest
What Are The Ways To Prevent Hypomagnesemia?
In order to prevent Hypomagnesemia, treatment of the underlying cause is imperative. It is important for sportsmen to drink energy fluids while playing and not just water as it may lead to Hypomagnesemia.