It is advised not to use estrace if you are suffering from the following: unusual vaginal bleeding, bleeding disorders, liver illness, if you have history of hormone related cancer like thyroid, breast, uterine or ovarian cancer. You should not also use estrace if you had a stroke, heart attack or blood clot in the past.
How Does Estrace Work?
Estrace are form of tablet which contains estradiol. Estradiol is a woman’s sex hormone which is produced by a female’s ovaries which are known to regulate different processes in their bodies. Estrace is used when a woman is unable to produce natural estradiol in the body. This can happen when a woman has menopause.
How Effective is Estrace?
Estrace effectively treats different symptoms that show during menopause which include: irritation, burning, vaginal dryness and hot flashes.
These estrace tablets can also be effectively used to prevent osteoporosis which is experienced by postmenopausal women and also to replace estrogen in those women with conditions that may cause lack of natural estrogen or ovarian failure. Estrace is used partially as a cancer treatment in both men and women. It is available in form of a cream as well.
Should I Use Estrace if I am Pregnant?
Estrace is likely to increase the risk of having a condition that can lead to having uterine cancer if you are expectant. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience any unusual bleeding from your vagina while using estrace. This estrace medicine should not be used to prevent stroke, dementia or heart disease because it is likely to increase the risk of causing these conditions. Long-term use of estrace is extremely dangerous because it may increase the risk of developing blood clot or breast cancer.
It is important if your doctor checks how you are progressing after every 3 to 6 months in order to determine if you are in a position to continue with the treatment or not.
It is advisable not to take estrace if you are expectant, allergic to estradiol or if you have ever had either of the following:
- Liver disease
- Unusual bleeding in the vagina that the doctor is not aware of
- Blood clot disorder
- Current history of stroke or heart attack
- History of hormone dependent: thyroid, uterine, breast or ovarian
- An allergy to food dyes or any medicine.
To ensure that estrace is safe for your use inform the doctor if you have ever have the following:
- Heart disease
- Any history of jaundice which is caused by birth control pills or pregnancy
- Asthma, kidney disease or thyroid disorder
- Seizure or epilepsy disorder
- Migraines or porphyria (a disorder that affect the skin or nervous system, it is genetic)
- Low or high level of calcium in the body
- Gallbladder disease
- Uterine fibroid or endometriosis tumor
- Risk factors of coronary artery condition such as: lupus, smoking, high blood pressure, history coronary artery condition in your family, diabetes or being overweight
- If your uterus have ever been removed
- When estrace is used for long it increases the risk of heart attack, blood clot, and stroke or breast cancer. It is good to talk to your doctor about all the risks that you may occur after using estrace for a long time.
What are the Side Effects of Estrace?
The following are the common side effects caused by the use estrace:
- Headache, breast pain
- Vaginal discharge, itching, vaginal bleeding and irregular menstrual periods.
- Vomiting bloating nausea, stomach cramps or thinning scalp hair.
- It is good to get medical attention if you start showing the following allergic reactions for using estrace: difficult breathing hives, swelling of the lips, face, throat or tongue.
If the following symptoms of estrace starts showing call your doctor immediately:
- Signs of stroke- this when you start feeling sudden weakness or numbness especially if you feel it on one side of the body, sudden slurred speech, severe headache vision or balance problem
- Symptoms of heart attack (nausea, pain on your shoulder or jaw, chest pain or pressure, sweating)
- Signs of blood clot in your lungs (sudden cough, rapid breathing, wheezing, coughing blood,chest pain)
- Signs of blood clot in your leg (warmth, swelling, pan, and redness in both or one leg)
- Tenderness or swelling in your stomach
- Jaundice (having yellowish color on the skin or eyes)
- Lump in your breast or unusual bleeding through the vagina is also a side effect of estrace.
- Fluid retention (rapid weight, swelling)
- Having high level of calcium in the blood (vomiting, stomach pain, constipation, loss of appetite, increased thirst, joint pain, muscle pain, feeling tired or confusion).