Orchitis develops in 12% to 30% of men with mumps virus infection. Orchitis is unusual in young boys before their adolescence stage. Symptoms normally develop 3 to 7 days after the onset of parotid inflammation, but orchitis can arise with or without the presence of parotitis.
Orchitis is infection and swelling of the testis, but the name has also been used to refer to discomfort confined to the testis without unbiased data of infection. Isolated orchitis is substantially fewer than prostatitis or epididymitis. Orchitis varies from other diseases of the man accessory sex glands in two vital ways.
How Long Will It Take To Recover/Heal From Orchitis?
Acute epididymo-orchitis (AEO) is a chronic infectious disorder of the epididymis and ipsilateral testis. Treatment should begin as early as possible after identification of the condition and this includes antibiotics, painkillers, and if needed, surgical procedure.
Treatment is aimed at relieving symptoms. Your doctor might recommend: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or naproxen sodium (Aleve) Bed rest and elevating your scrotum. Even though testicle inflammation does not overgrow and turn chronic, they may propagate to other organs connected to the testicles such as the epididymis. It is not understood precisely what triggers testicular tumors, but some aspects enhance the probability of a male acquiring testicular tumors.
There’s no cure for viral orchitis, but the condition will go away on its own. In the meantime, you can use remedies at home to manage your symptoms. Generally, individuals with viral orchitis begin to improve symptoms in 3 to 7 days, though it can take quite a few weeks for the scrotal inflammation to recede.
For infectious cases, it takes two to three days to start feeling better. If you don’t, and if the redness doesn’t begin to fade, call your provider. Discomfort can last for weeks to months after the full course of antibiotics is taken in some cases.
Bacterial orchitis is healed with antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, and ice packs. Regardless of the source of your inflammation, full recovery can take several weeks. Antibiotic therapy is necessary to cure the infection and can be taken to reduce the risk of developing a chronic condition.1,2
How Long Do The Symptoms Of Orchitis Last?
Orchitis causes pain and can affect fertility. Treatment can improve the symptoms of bacterial orchitis and can help improve certain warning signs of viral orchitis. But it can take several weeks for scrotal tenderness to disappear. This could be caused by your testicle becoming twisted and needs to be treated in the hospital as soon as possible.
The acute symptoms usually last for about a week, but the testicular swelling may take several weeks to resolve completely.3
Typical Symptoms Of Acute Orchitis
The commonest symptom is a low-grade ache in one testicle. It can be difficult to locate the discomfort precisely. The pain often radiates (spreads) into your scrotum, groin, thigh and lower back. Sitting for prolonged periods may make it worse. If you encounter a real disease, you may also observe a change in the pigment or texture of your sperm.
In a few patients, the inflammation also affects your prostate gland. This can cause discomfort in the groins, perineum (the area between the scrotum and anus) or thighs and may affect your ability to pass urine. Congenital urinary tract abnormalities can also increase your risk of orchitis. If you face discomfort or heaviness in your scrotum, particularly if the soreness arises unexpectedly, tell your physician immediately.
Your doctor will ask you for a medical history and recommend tests to determine if you have STIs or other infections.4,5
- Orchitis – Diagnosis and treatment – Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/orchitis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20375865
- Orchitis: Causes, Risk Factors, and Symptoms – Healthline https://www.healthline.com/health/orchitis
- Orchitis – Symptoms and causes – Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/orchitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20375860
- 10 Things You Need to Know about Epididymo-orchitis
- Epididymitis and Orchitis: An Overview https://www.aafp.org/afp/2009/0401/p583.html
- What is Epididymo-Orchitis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Who is at Risk, Diagnosis
- Orchitis (Bacterial & Viral): Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications, Prevention, Tips to Cope
- Testicular Infection: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis, Diagnosis
- What Is The Best Treatment For Orchitis & Coping Methods For It?
- How To Diagnose Orchitis & What Is The Best Medicine For It?
- How Dangerous Is Orchitis & Is It Contagious?
- What Leads To Orchitis & Can It Be Cured?
- What Is The Prognosis For Orchitis & Lifestyle Changes For It?