Ganoderma also commonly known as reishi mushroom is a bitter mushroom, used in traditional medicine for thousands of years. It is very effective in the treatment of various health ailments.Ganodermais a large, woody and a tough mushroom which is being used in various herbal remedies. It is an adaptogen which helps the body adapt to mental and physical stress and also boosts the immune system of the body.It is a very beneficial herb but bears a few side effects as well.
Here are the 5 health benefits and side effects of Ganoderma.
5 Health Benefits of Ganoderma
- Improves Cardiovascular Health: Ganoderma is found to improve the blood flow and reduce oxygen consumption in the heart muscles. It lowers the blood pressure, improves the cholesterol level and prevents the formation of blood clots. It bears the preventive abilities against plaque build-up in the artery walls.Thus, improved cardiovascular health is one of the important benefits of Ganoderma.
- Effective in Cancer Prevention: Ganoderma is believed to be useful in preventing the growth of cancer cells and cancer metastasis.It prevents angiogenesis (formation of new blood vessels to supply nutrients to the tumors). Ganoderma is known for inducing or enhancing tumor cell death.Some studies suggest that Ganoderma with green tea can enhanceits power of control the growth and spread of cancer cells. This is indeed one of the promising health benefits of Ganoderma.
- Antiviral and Antibacterial Properties: Ganoderma is found effective in boosting immunity. It helps protect against bacterial and viral diseases as it can fight several disease causing bacteria and viruses. Offering protection against several infections and improving immunity is surely one of the important health benefits of Ganoderma.
- Protects Liver: Ganodermahelps in lowering the raised enzyme level in the liver disease. A significant reduction in liver enzymes was noted in patients given this herb for continuous 3 months. It is believed to be effective when given after hepatitis B infection, which is a noteworthy benefit of Ganoderma.
- Fights Against Depression and Fatigue: Ganoderma is known to improve the mental function, reduce stress and anxiety, and thereby fighting against depression. It improves the quality of life in people suffering from chronic disorders. Studies report improvement in fatigue and well-being in people taking supplements of Ganoderma.
Side Effects ofGanoderma
Despite so many health benefits, Ganoderma has few shortcomings which should not be ignored, as may prove hazardous to health.Ganoderma extract can be safely taken only for short periods, preferable for few months. Experts also advise that in the powdered form, it can show toxic effects on the liver, even if taken for more than a month. Hence, in order to avoid the side effects of Ganoderma, it is best to seek medical advice and follow the guidance of an expert in practicing traditional medicine.
Some of the Side Effects Of Ganoderma Include:
- Dryness in mouth, throat, and the nasal area, with itching.
- It can also cause an upset stomach, nosebleeds and blood in stools.
- Breathing its spores can aggravate allergies and
- Ganoderma wine can lead to rashes in the body.
While these are the side effects of Ganoderma, its usage must be restricted or supervised in the following conditions:
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: Even though many bad effects are not known, but it is better to avoid Ganoderma during pregnancy and breastfeeding for the betterment of mother and the child.
- Low Blood Pressure: As it has a known benefit of lowering the blood pressure, therefore in individuals already suffering from low blood pressure, it could interfere with the treatment or worsen the condition.
- Bleeding Disorder: If taken in high doses, Ganoderma could lead to bleeding in the people suffering from bleeding disorders.
- Surgery: Due to the possibility of risk of bleeding, it should not be given to the patient before and after surgery. At least 2 weeks gap before and after the procedure is recommended.
- Autoimmune Disorders: If suffering from an autoimmune disorder, the use of Ganoderma should be restricted.
Ganoderma has a variety of health benefits, but the side effects should never be ignored. If taken under good supervision and keeping in mind the possible effects, you can enjoy the best of this herb. With the knowledge of health benefits and side effects of Ganoderma, you can take an informed decision.