Caterpillar fungus or cordyceps has been known for its variety of health benefits since years and has been used a lot in traditional Chinese medicine. It is very expensive i.e. four times its weight in silver and is more effective than ginseng. Knowing about the health benefits of caterpillar fungus can help you decide its usage to your advantage.
8 Health Benefits of Caterpillar Fungus (Cordyceps)
The popularity of caterpillar fungus with regards to improved stamina and better energy levels is now appreciated by all. In addition to these, there are many other health benefits of caterpillar fungus, which can be helpful for many.
- Effective in Treating Bronchitis: In the list of health benefits of caterpillar fungus is its role in treating chronic bronchitis and other respiratory tract disorders. It reduces inflammation in the airways and reduces phlegm. It also increases the production of adrenal cortex hormones which help in expanding the bronchial smooth muscles.
- Boosts Immunity: Caterpillar fungus is proved to be very effective in giving a boost to the immune system by activating the natural killer activity. It promotes the antibody production which helps the body fight against many infections and diseases. This is one of the most important health benefits of caterpillar fungus.
- Reduces Fatigue: Caterpillar fungus helps to reduce fatigue and promotes rejuvenation of the body. It gives a boost to the cellular energy thus giving a boost to the all-day physical activity. With reduced fatigue, there is an increase in exercise capacity, endurance and invariably in the performance at all levels.
- Regulates Liver Function: One of the health benefits of caterpillar fungus is that it helps to boost the liver function. The caterpillar fungus inhibits alcohol-induced hepatic fibrogenesis, strengthens the immune function and the anti-oxidation ability. It helps to control the development of cirrhosis. It is also seen proving beneficial in patients suffering from post-hepatitis cirrhosis.
- Prevents Cancer: It is found useful in reducing the growth of cancer cells in all types of cancers. It increases the immunity to fight against the cancer cells. Studies suggest a strong hand of the caterpillar fungus in showing an inhibitory effect on the spontaneous liver metastasis of Lewis lung carcinoma and B16 melanoma cells in mice. It is found effective in shrinking the tumor size in lung and skin cancers. Caterpillar fungus increases the estrogen and testosterone production, therefore should not be used in hormone-dependent cancers i.e. cancer of breast and prostate. This is one of the amazing health benefits of caterpillar fungus.
- Regulates Blood Lipid: The caterpillar fungus reduces the blood cholesterol level and triglyceride levels. This is yet another important health benefit of caterpillar fungus. It improves high-density lipoproteins. All this helps in lowering the risk of atherosclerosis and related health problems. It helps in improving the activity of white blood cells thus strengthening the defense mechanism of the body. It also controls the circulation of cholesterol and improves the immune response of red blood cells.
- Controlling Diabetes: Caterpillar fungus is also known to help in lowering the blood sugar level, thus helping maintain the sugar levels in the body. It slows down the weight loss, controls excessive thirst, and improves glucose tolerance, which are commonly the symptoms noted in the patient suffering from high blood sugar level. Thus one of the health benefits of caterpillar fungus is that it can control blood sugar level in diabetics and also keep their symptoms in check.
- Improves Libido: This fungus is found capable of improving the sexual activity in both male and females. It also improves the erectile dysfunction present in males.
These are some of the most well-known health benefits of caterpillar fungus. However, it is not recommended for the people suffering from autoimmune or bleeding disorders. Also, regarding their usage, it is important to seek advice from an expert. It is advisable to take these only after consulting your physician.