What is GABA, Know its Benefits, Side Effects & Dosages
GABA, stands for Gamma- Aminobutyric Acid which is also naturally occurring common amino acid in the human body. In the brain, GABA is used to calm down the excited neurons in the brain, which allows us to stay in a state of well being. Low levels of GABA in the mind might indicate towards anxiety, epilepsy and other chronic pain. Hence it is important to know about GABA, its benefits, side effects and dosages.
What is GABA?
GABA a type of transmitter that blocks different impulses between the nerve cells of the brain. Researchers have also hinted towards the fact that GABA might boost the human mood or also have a very calming and relaxation effect on the entire nervous system.
Physicians may prescribe GABA supplements for people who are suffering from conditions that affect the nerve signals, or for other problems, as appropriate.
Those who take supplements of GABA try to:
- Improve the mood
- Relieve the anxiety
- Improve the sleep
- Help in the premenstrual syndrome(PMS)
- For treating ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder
- GABA is also prescribed to
- Provide relief or lessen the pain of severe injuries to the body
- Increase tolerance in the exercise
- Lower the blood pressure
- Burn fat stored in the body
- Enhance the growth of a very lean muscular mass
But it should be noted that only limited researches and studies have been done on the GABA supplements. Also, the dosage is not clear or fixed and hence must be used cautiously only with medical advice.
What are the Benefits of GABA?
GABA is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain and has several benefits. The neurotransmitters have a specific role and all they need is a proper receptor for effective functioning. It is responsible for regulation of the nerve impulses, which help in maintenance of muscle tone.
Some of the major benefits of GABA include the following.
- GABA has the role of an amino acid that is responsible for generating nerve impulse in the body, which are essential for effective body functions.
- It is also a very effective and essential cell for opening the ion channel of cells in the body.
- Similarly the potassium and the chloride channels are also regulated from GABA. Also, Neurons which produce GABA in the body are also known as GABAergic neurons.
- It promotes the growth of embryonic cells in the human body. GABA effectively blocks the nerve impulses in the body, which are as a result of certain activities in the human body.
- It`s now obvious that GABA is a very integral part of the human body. For normal functioning of the human body, GABA is very essential and important.
Some other benefits of GABA, which for which it is popularly prescribed includes:
- GABA is immensely beneficial and effective in providing relief for chronic conditions like hypertension and depression.
- Depression and stress; both are dangerous for the body and in severe cases they lead to heart attacks. Research have also found that menstrual cycle chains in the body cause depression along with other hormonal changes. GABA in such cases is effective in enhancing the mood and calming down the nerve impulses.
- Also, those having high sugar levels in the body might find GABA very helpful. GABA is found to be very effective in bringing down the high sugar levels in the body.
- GABA also increases the growth hormones in the body. These growth hormone levels help an individual in getting a good health. Many gym enthusiasts use GABA supplements for building and shaping up muscles of the body.
- It is useful in increasing the size of breasts and increasing volume of milk in women during lactation period. Few researchers have also claimed that GABA might stimulate an early development of breast and has the capability of nourishing infants.
GABA as Food Supplement – Other Benefit of GABA
GABA is also used as a food supplement in the form of medication, which effectively helps in combating depression, anxiety and other neurological disorders in the body. These are some of the amazing benefits of GABA. Also known as an anti- aging medicine, GABA effectively reduces rising aging signs in the body. Health experts have also expressed their opinion of how GABA supplements are useful in breakdown of fat in the body. It has an effect in reducing high blood pressure and in some cases, it is also very effective reducing chronic arthritis and back pain. So the benefits of GABA supplements are in abundance, but only when they are consumed in limited quantities and at right dosages. If it has number of good effects on the body, no doubt that it also encompasses some severe side effects too.
Dosages of GABA
Till now there isn't any standardized recommended dosage for GABA supplements. However, there are certain dosages and guides which render some guidelines to the product. So far there isn't any specific dosage quantity given by any health research.
Many consumers find that GABA in the range of 250-750 mg, three times a day intake is sufficient. Those taking the GABA supplement for insomnia (lack of sleep condition) take 500-750mg once before bed time. However, it is best to take GABA as a medicine, supplement or in any form, only under medical supervision, as the dose varies according to the age, weight and the health condition.
Side Effects of GABA
Side effects of GABA can occur only when a person`s body is weak and is unable to take the dosage quantity. Side effects of GABA are normally seen when a patient takes them beyond the specified dosage limit. Some of the common side effects of GABA supplements include drowsiness, itching, tickling sensation in face, intense and rapid breathing, high and increased heart beat and nausea. For normal patient, it is advisable not o exceed the limit of 1500mg per day. Since drowsiness is one of the most common side effects of GABA and if exceeded the dosage limit, the side effect might carry on the next day also. In such cases, a person should not case operate heavy machinery or drive. Hence, it is best to follow medical advice and report, if you are not comfortable with the given dose.