Spending tons of money on expensive gym membership, personal trainers and heavy convoluted equipments might not be everyone’s cup of tea. But losing or maintaining weight is a concern for almost everyone. So whether you are able to go to the gym or not there are various ways in which your home can help you lose weight. These involve your daily chores and household works.
Do These 6 Daily Chores to Lose Weight at Home
You do not need to spare fortunes on gym or expensive equipment, for the purpose of losing weight. While they prove helpful in losing weight and maintaining a good health, the investment is huge and has to be done on a regular basis. On the other hand, daily chores and household work help us in many ways to achieve what we try to get through intense and sometimes torturous, workout we do at the gyms. What more do you want, when your home can help you lose weight, after all it also helps you finish household chores with ease.
Daily Chores and household work is a great way to burn calories with minimum investment and can be done according to your convenience. While many think of exercise as a sport practiced for positive impact on our overall health, daily activities done by us throughout the day can also be a good form of exercise.
Here are some daily chores and household works that can help you lose weight at home.
Avoid the Elevator, Take the Stairs
A smart way to stay fit and lose those extra pounds is to take the stairs and avoid the elevators. The scientific reason behind it is that climbing the stairs is a beneficial form of exercise. It raises the heart rate and improves your aerobic conditioning. This can help to prevent high blood pressure, diabetes and heart diseases, while helping you lose weight. It also helps improve flexibility by working on your bones and muscles.
The advantages of climbing stairs are many.
- There is no special skill or training required for this form of exercise and probably one of the best ways your home can help you lose weight.
- It can be done at any time of the day, therefore it is time efficient and no extra effort needs to be put in to schedule the exercise regime.
- Climbing stairs on daily basis can lower mortality risks by 33%. And the best thing is that it can be included in your daily routine and can be practiced daily without any fail.
- There is no need of investing in expensive equipment for exercises.
- It tones the muscles in the thighs, abdomen, hips, hence proving to be a good cardio workout.
- It is an excellent way to burn extra calories and helps you lose weight.
Sweep and Mop the Floor Clean
Sweeping and mopping is an unavoidable daily chore and a household work which is also a great all-round exercise and one of the traditional ways your home can help you lose weight. It involves intense physical activity that works on the entire body giving a full body workout in little time. Sweeping and mopping helps to burn a lot of calories depending on the amount of work put in and the time taken. This daily chore exercise can help you burn about 300-500 calories. Sweeping and mopping helps in the following ways:
- Try to use a scrub and a broom instead of a mop stick and vacuum cleaner to clean. This will help to stretch tone and strengthen the abdominal and shoulder muscles and your also back.
- When cleaning, you need to bend, which puts pressure on the muscles of the thighs, hips, calves and abdomen helping them to flex and get toned. While doing so, holding the position for 10-15 seconds gives a good workout.
- If you are fit enough and wish to have a brisk cardio workout to lose weight, you can increase the pace of the cleaning activity and enjoy great results.
Do Your Own Laundry
With high-tech machines and professional services available just a call away many people do not like doing their own laundry. But the physical activity involved in doing laundry on your own can prove extremely beneficial in your effort to lose weight at home.
- Washing clothes, folding, lifting and ironing can help burn a lot of calories. The process of washing clothes involves the activity of leaning in to the tub or bucket putting pressure on the abdominal muscles working on toning them. The flexing of these muscles during the activity is an excellent way of workout, which eventually leads to loss of extra fat and excess weight.
- Rinsing clothes works on the muscles of the hands and tones them.
- Ironing, folding and lifting the clothes can help with a whole body workout.
As these activities use large and small muscle groups, they also improve your muscle strength and co-ordination, while helping you lose weight at home.
Lift, Bend and Squat the Fat Away
While doing the daily household chores you might need to bend or squat to lift things up, move things for cleaning the house. These activities not only work on toning the muscles in various parts of the body but also burn calories and help you lose weight. As good as weight training done in gyms, lifting things or moving things around is an unbelievable way your home can help you lose weight.
- Bending exerts pressure on the abdominal muscles, thighs and hips. Holding the position for some time can help tone the muscles.
- Taking out things from drawers or performing squats while cleaning the floor puts pressure on the thighs, calves and hips. This helps to tone them up and eventually get rid of any extra fat. This is an amazing way in which your home can help you lose weight.
- Pushing and pulling or lifting of objects at home is a perfect alternative for weight training done in gyms.
Work with Nature
Gardening is another way which can give you a full body workout and help you lose weight at home. In the garden, you need to bend, squat, sweep, clean and do all the activities of a full body workout.
- Bend and squat to plant saplings, digging, cleaning the dried leaves and twigs, spreading compost.
- Lift the pots, saplings, buckets of water.
- Water the plants and trees with a hose or a bucket.
- Trim trees and shrubs, raking and use reel mowers.
All these activities involve high amount of physical effort which helps burn a lot of calories and lose weight. Working with the nature also helps you relax, thus reducing your stress, which is another important way your home can help you lose weight.
Make Your Own Meals
Cooking can not only help you keep a check on the calorie intake but the physical activity involved can help you lose weight too. While cooking, you need to move around the kitchen which helps to stay active and keep walking. The process of stirring, chopping and lifting things in the kitchen, keeps your whole body involved in the process and you get a chance to do the workout. Along with it, shopping around for grocery and vegetable can help you lose some weight. Your kitchen is the best way your home can help you lose weight; by keeping you active, by keeping a check on your diet and by giving you the joy of cooking and eating without guilt.
The daily chores we do in and around the house can help us with the intense workout we try to do in the gyms. The simple yet intense daily physical activities at home can help you stay healthy with toned muscles, just like a vigorous workout session at the gym. There are various ways your home can help you lose weight and little effort put in to do these activities can help burn a lot of calories.