Breast problems are on the rise; so the need for some breast care tips are to promote breast health for women of all ages. These breast care suggestions promote sexual, social and reproductive health. Here are 15 ways of caring for your breasts.
15 Ways of Caring For Your Breasts
Owing to the increasing health problems, breast care has gained more importance. While there can be many ways in which you can care for your breasts, here are the best 15 ways of caring for your breasts.
- The Right Bra: Wearing the right bra is an important requirement for every woman. A woman’s breasts undergo multiple changes throughout her lifetime(1) and with that come changes in your bra size and type.(2) Choosing the right bra is one of the most important of the 15 ways of caring for your breasts. The right bra not only ensures comfort, but also a significant difference in your appearance and personality. There is a wide variation of bra sizes and types; and you might want to opt for something basic or fancy and can even seek the help of an expert.
- Regular Bra Changes: One way to avoid nasty skin infections around the breast area is to wear clean bras daily or as often as possible.(3,4) This is one of the essential 15 ways of caring for your breasts. If your breast area is sweaty and moist by midday on a warm summer day; a quick bra change could easily ensure that prolonged exposure to moisture doesn’t attract fungal growth.
- Cleaning Your Breasts: Keeping the breast area clean is of paramount importance. As the epidermis of the breast is quite sensitive to fungal and bacterial infections proper cleaning of breasts and surrounding area is necessary. It is yet another one of the 15 ways of caring for your breasts. Cleaning of breasts is easily done while having a bath, which can be done twice a day, or else, you can even opt for wet wipes to cleanse the breast area.
- No Bras: While bras pretty much impact the social lives and personal comfort of women; there are specific times of the day when you must eschew the bra. This allows your breasts much needed freedom. Sleep braless and if you can; go braless when lounging around in the privacy of your home.(5) This is one of the 15 ways of caring for your breasts.
- Prolonged Breastfeeding: Breastfeeding not only provides natural and complete nutrition for your baby, but also promotes breast health in various ways.(6,7) Breast feeding reduces the risk of breast cancer and helps shed pregnancy weight; which are just two good reasons to breastfeed your baby for as long as you can.(8) No doubt, breastfeeding is one of the most essential 15 ways of caring for your breasts.
- Breast Hygiene while Breastfeeding: Your baby will often leave some milk, spittle and fluids on your breast while breast feeding. Keeping your breasts clean can prevent any fungal infections on the breast area and will also ensure minimal digestive issues for your baby. Breast hygiene while breastfeeding is another important way of caring for your breasts.
- Handle with Care: Breasts are a major part of sexual interactions between men and women, which often means caressing and handling during foreplay and intercourse. Aggressive sexual behavior and rough handling of breasts can cause soreness, pain and discomfort. Being cautious and avoiding such behavior is one of the 15 ways of caring for your breasts.
- Chemical Influences: Women use a wide range of grooming and beauty products that the breasts are exposed to. These products range from soaps and body lotions to perfumes. All of these products have certain chemical compositions and one must take care to avoid products that can cause dermatological problems on the sensitive breast areas. This too is one of the 15 ways of caring for your breasts.
- Watch your Weight (9, 10): Weight watching is closely connected to breast health and one of the 15 ways of caring for your breasts. Maintaining an ideal weight according to your body mass index (BMI) can help to prevent breast cancer; especially post menopause.(10)
- Informed Dietary Choices (9, 10): Informed dietary choices could very well promote breast health, making it one of the 15 ways of caring for your breasts. Cruciferous vegetables like kale, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and collard greens can have a positive impact on breast health because of the cancer fighting antioxidants present in them.(10) The same applies to plant based proteins, which are anti-cancer alternatives to meat based proteins. Additionally; flax seeds, turmeric and oily fish can also promote breast health.
- Limit Alcohol Intake (9, 10): Breast health and alcohol consumption are closely linked. Research shows that regular alcohol intake can result in breast cancer; hence, limiting alcohol intake is one of the 15 ways of caring for your breasts.(10,12)
- Exercise for Good Breast Health (9, 10): Studies have effectively proven that a variety of exercises can reduce the chances of breast cancer to some extent.(10) This is definitely a great reason to take up a regular workout regimen and a crucial way to care for your breasts.
- Quit Smoking (9): There are many adverse health impacts of smoking and the increased risk of breast cancer is yet another good reason to stay away from smoking (11). Hence, one of the important 15 ways of caring for your breasts is to quit smoking.
- Cut Down on Stress: Stress has an undeniable impact on your physical appeal. One way to remain physically fit and attractive and one of the ways to care for your breasts is to cut down on stress.
- Breast Cancer Screening (9): Cancer screening; both clinical and by oneself is necessary. Check your breasts for growths and lumps as often as possible with breast self-examination. Also, as a part of cancer screening and one of the most important 15 ways of caring for your breasts, opt for mammograms annually, after 35 years of age or as advised by your physician.
In conclusion; this article touches upon all facets of breast care and 15 ways of caring for your breasts.