This Sanskrit word “asana” means, “to sit,” but in context of Yoga, asana hints at some specific poses or postures which can be done to improve health. Yogis have formulated yoga Asanas over the years, where training is required to learn the asana, as proper posture and breathing techniques are needed for best results. Practicing Yoga Asanas help to develop a strong body, preventing body from deadly diseases. Practising these asanas make the body healthier, stronger, flexible and firm. It is not about physical aspect only, but Yoga Asanas also help in improving body and mind. In a broader aspect, it is a way of life to be more acquainted with the universe spiritually and mentally to set your body and mind free.
Which Yoga Asanas Can Help Reduce Belly Fat?
Similar to aerobic exercises, Yoga Asanas are meant to develop flexibility in the body. It helps to get you in shape at a moderate speed, which is not harmful like those other exhaustive, hard, degenerative physical work outs involving many costly, heavy machines and accessories. Regular practices of some particular yoga asanas for weight loss will help boost metabolism, build muscle and boost flexibility. Here we can find some effective Yoga Asanas for reducing pot belly or post pregnancy belly fat.
Cobra Posture or Bhujangasana for Reducing Belly Fat
To reduce belly fat and consequently strengthen the abs muscles, one needs to practice this Cobra Posture asana. In addition, this pose also helps to sustain a strong and flexible spine.
- Step By Step Instructions for Performing Cobra Posture Asana to Reduce Belly Fat:
- Lie on your stomach.
- Stretch both legs.
- Position your palms under your shoulders by bending it from elbows.
- Ensure that your chin and toes are touching the floor firmly.
- Inhale slowly and rhythmically.
- While inhaling raise your chest upward while bending backward.
- Depending on your strength, hold this pose for 15-30 seconds.
- Exhale slowly and bring your body back to the original position.
- Repeat 5 times with an interval of 15 seconds between each pose
- Precautions in Cobra Posture: Do not perform it during pregnancy. This asana is also prohibited for patients having ulcer, hernia or back injury.
Seated Forward Bend Posture or Paschimottanasana for Reducing Belly Fat
To stimulate the solar plexus centre of the body perform this yoga pose to help reduce belly fat. It will provide you a significant reduction of belly fat and balance energy restoration. Apart from reducing belly fat, this yoga asana (pose) will tone the muscles and stretch the hamstrings, hip and thigh muscles.
- Step By Step Instructions for Performing Seated Forward Bend Posture to Reduce Belly Fat:
- Sit straight on the floor.
- Fold your legs one over other as in Lotus Position (Padmasana).
- Now stretch your legs to the front.
- Your toes should be pointing towards the ceiling.
- Inhale deeply and raise your hands above your head without bending the elbows.
- Then exhale and bend forward from the hips.
- Bring down your hands to touch the toes
- While touching the toes, your head should be bent to touch the knees at the same time.
- While reaching for your toes, try to pull the toes towards you until you can experience a stretch in the hamstrings.
- Continue breathing in and keep the tummy tucked in.
- Stay as it is for about one minute initially, but increase the time to five minutes gradually over the period of weeks or days.
- Start with 10 repetitions and slowly increase the number.
- Now, bring your body up slowly in exhale.
- Come back to the original starting position.
- Repeat this pose (asana) for at least 25 times to have the best result in losing belly fat.
- Precautions in Seated Forward Bend Posture: Beginners may not be able to touch the toes at first, don’t create too much pressure instead try touching ankles or thighs for a few days or weeks; otherwise this posture may be painful.
Bow Posture or Dhanurasana to Get Rid of Belly Fat
This pose will work on the core of the abs and will tighten your abs to help reduce belly fat. It will reduce constipation remarkably and enhance the digestive system. Rocking back and forth in this pose will increase this yoga asana’s potential to work on your abdominal area and will also give a nice, smooth stretch on your back.
- Step by Step Instructions for Performing Bow Posture Asana to Reduce Belly Fat:
- Lie on your stomach with your legs stretched out.
- Your arms should be on each side of your body.
- Then bend from the knees.
- While bending the knees, reach your arms back to your ankles or feet.
- Inhale slowly and lift your head.
- Then bend your hands backward while lifting your legs as high as possible.
- Hold your ankles for 15-30 seconds and keep breathing normally.
- Now, start to exhale and move back to the original position.
- Repeat the whole process for at least 5 times and relax by pausing 10-15 seconds between each repetition.
- Precautions in Bow Posture Asana: This asana is prohibited for patients with high blood pressure, heart problems, hernia, peptic or duodenal ulcer, appendicitis, colitis etc.
Mountain Pose or Tadasana for Reducing Belly Fat
This asana is known to boost overall blood circulation and helps in making sure that the body is getting ready for varying other poses. Mountain Pose asana improves your posture, making body straight and firm. Mountain Pose asana makes the buttocks and abdomen strong, strengthens the knees, thigh muscles, ankles and overall body. Mountain Pose asana is effective in relieving sciatica pain that even medications fail to do so; sciatica pain is something that affects the hips, back and the outer sides of the legs.
- Step By Step Instructions for Performing Mountain Pose Asana to Reduce Belly Fat:
- Stand with the feet spread out flat.
- Keeping the spine erect, stand with stretched hands with the palms closed.
- Stretch the spine while inhaling deeply.
- Raise the folded hands above your head as much as possible
- Lift the ankles gradually thus standing on toes with the eyes faced to the ceiling.
- Keep feet flat on ground while performing all the poses.
- Normal breathing with posing for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Inhaling should be deep, whereas exhaling should be relaxed; thus bringing feet to the starting position.
- The asana should be repeated at least 10 times.
- Precautions in Mountain Pose Asana: Those who are suffering from insomnia, blood pressure and headache should never be perform this asana.