Protopic and Elidel are topical medicines used to treat eczema allergy. Contrary to topical steroids, these medicines do not cause skin pigmentation, thinning of skin, formation of blood vessels on prolonged usage. When applied on the skin, these medicines are not absorbed into the body. The important feature of these medicines is that they can be used in any part of the skin, whether the face or eyelids.
The topical steroids are used to suppress the immune system of people having certain conditions like the auto-immune disease. Such medications have severe side-effects and are often responsible for the cause of cancers.
Protopic and Elidel should be taken under strict supervision from qualified medical practitioners for treating eczema allergy. They are popular because they have less side-effect when compared with topical steroids.
Black Box Warning on Elidel and Protopic
Protopic and Elidel have a black box warning, indicating that the drugs can be potentially harmful. Reports suggest that these medicines can cause skin cancers among adult, children.
How Effective & Safe are Elidel and Protopic in Treating Eczema Allergy?
Elidel and Protopic are used for the treatment of skin diseases like eczema allergy in children as well as in adults. It is important to note that such medications prove effective if they are used for short term purpose. Besides using the medication like Elidel and Protopic, it is advised to use skin moisturizers to maintain good skin.
Topical steroids are quite harmful to the skin. Using Elidel and Protopic, frequently on thin skin, is also not recommended. Most of the topical medicines used for the treatment of skin ailments or skin allergies are expensive. It is better to consult a dermatologist, discuss about the presence of cheaper options and use them on skin that is thicker.
It is important for the patients to understand the advantages and disadvantages associated with the medicines like Elidel and Protopic in the treatment of Eczema Allergy. Visit the doctor; consult with the person about the pros and cons of using skin related drugs.
- Eczema or Atopic Dermatitis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Home Remedies, Prevention
- Seborrheic Dermatitis or Seborrheic Eczema: Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Treatment, Remedies
- Dyshidrotic Eczema or Pompholyx: Causes, Risk Factors, Signs, Symptoms, Investigations, Treatment, Home Remedies, Prevention
- Eczema Vs Psoriasis: Differences Worth Knowing
- Treatment for Eczema|Can Eczema Scars Be Removed Permanently?
- Nummular Eczema: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Is it Contagious, How Long Does it Last?
- Myths and Facts of Baby Eczema
- What is Baby Eczema: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Home Remedies