Health Benefits of Sabudana or Tapioca During Pregnancy & Fasting
If you are fasting or if you are a woman in your pregnancy, it is very much essential for you to take some kind of food which is full of energy and which has a great cooling effect in the body. Sabudana or Tapioca is one such food which has a high level of starch and carbohydrates and provides you enough energy during your fasting or pregnant times. And guess what the best part of eating Sabudana or Tapioca is? Well! it is one such diet which is quite easy to digest; which in fact is greatly essential during fasting or pregnancy days.
In this article we will talk about some of the most essential health benefits of Sabudana or Tapioca during pregnancy or fasting. We will also share a simple and quick Sabudana or Tapioca recipe at the end of our article.
Overview on Sabudana or Tapioca:
Sabudana or Tapioca is mainly starch extracted from a plant and is rich in energy and carbohydrates. The processed version of Sabudana or Tapioca is available in the market in the form of small globules of pearls. Used in various kinds of dishes like puddings, soups, and in various carbonated drinks; Sabudana or Tapioca helps in providing not only intense energy but also aids in digestion, especially required during fasting and pregnancy periods. This is a food with low calories, high starch and carbohydrate contents and is preferred as a light meal options.
Nutrition Quotient in Sabudana or Tapioca: It has a low level of fat and also protein. 100 grams of dry sabudana or tapioca gives you 355 calories, including an average of 94 grams of carbohydrates, 0.5 grams of dietary fibre, 0.2 grams of protein, 10 milligrams of calcium, 1.2 milligrams of iron and traces of carotene, thiamine, ascorbic acid, fat etc.
Health Benefits of Sabudana or Tapioca in Pregnancy and Fasting:
Maybe it is during your fasting days or during the pregnant phase, Sabudana or Tapioca is one such light food which would help you get energy even if it does not provide your body with more of vitamins and minerals. The best thing about Sabudana or Tapioca is that it is easy to digest. We will talk about some of the best health benefits of Sabudana or Tapioca in this section.
- Sabudana or Tapioca as a Source of Energy: Sabudana or Tapioca is known to be a great source of energy. The presence of carbohydrates in sabudana or Tapioca makes it a healthy food that instantly provides the energy required by the body. So, if you are feeling lost out of energy, which usually happens during fasting or pregnancy times; go for a Sabudana or Tapioca diet and keep your body charged.
- Weight Gain Benefits of Sabudana or Tapioca: The rich carbohydrate content in Sabudana or Tapioca makes it a healthy source for gaining weight. You can go for the diet if you are suffering from a lower weight in pregnancy and gain a healthy weight for facilitating a proper pregnancy and childbirth.
- Digestive Benefits of Sabudana or Tapioca: It is a digestion facilitator. It has a cooling effect on the system and aids in improving digestion. This food is very much easy to digest, helps in eradicating various issues of digestive system disorder including constipation, indigestion etc; that makes it a so much beneficial to be taken during pregnancy and fasting.
- Benefits of Sabudana or Tapioca in Preventing Birth Deformities: Folic acid and Vitamin B complex are richly found in Sabudana or Tapioca. This makes the food a healthy source for proper growth of the foetus and prevents it from birth deformities like the neural tube defect. This makes Sabudana or Tapioca, a good food to be taken during pregnancy
- Health Benefits of Sabudana or Tapioca in Muscle Growth: If you are fasting or in pregnancy stage you surely would require some good amount of protein source. Sabudana or Tapioca is one such food which provides enough of protein to you even in a light meal.
- Health Benefits of Sabudana or Tapioca in Bone Health: Sabudana or Tapioca is also known to be essential for bone health. The presence of a fair amount of Calcium, Iron and Vitamin K in Sabudana or Tapioca makes it a healthy source for improving bone health.
- Sabudana or Tapioca is Beneficial in Controlling Blood Pressure: Sabudana or Tapioca also helps in maintaining proper blood pressure. Potassium content present in the food makes it a good source for improving the blood circulation; which in turn aids in reducing the pressure on heart.
A Healthy Sabudana or Tapioca Recipe to be taken During Pregnancy or Fasting Days:
Want to know about how to prepare a Sabudana or Tapioca dish at home? Here we have one healthy Sabudana or Tapioca recipe for you!
Sabudana or Tapioca Khichdi Recipe:
- 1 cup Sabudana or Tapioca
- 2 medium potatoes
- ½ cup of roasted peanuts, crushed
- 2 Green chillies
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds or Jeera
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp oil.
- Clean and Drain the Sabudana or Tapioca and then set them aside for about 6 hours. It should be dried up. Moisten it by sprinkling some water on it.
- Mix the cumin seeds, oil, potatoes and green chillies in a microwave safe bowl. Make sure you cover it with a lid and microwave it on high until the potatoes get tender. This would take approximately 2 minutes.
- Now, add the peanuts, soaked sabudana or Tapioca and salt and then mix it well and repeat the step as mentioned above.
- Now, your healthy dish made from Sabudana or Tapioca is ready to be served hot with curds or green chutney.
Now, we know about some of the health benefits of Sabudana or Tapioca. You can try out this starch and carbohydrate rich food during your fasting or pregnancy period and keep your body healthy, well charged and filled with energy.