Apple is one of the most popular healthiest fruits. The antioxidants found in apple have significant disease prevention and health promoting properties. It is not without a reason that there is a saying, “An Apple a Day, Keeps the Doctor Away”.
According to Chong Yong Lee, who is a professor, Apples contain some chemical that are anti-allergenic, anti-inflammatory some are anti-carcinogenic, and anti-viral.
9 Amazing Health Benefits of Apple
- Apples contain good amount of Vitamin C which helps the immune system. Eating apples regularly prevents you from poor healing, bleeding gums and bruises easily.
- Apples reduce cholesterol in your body. An apple of medium size contains 4-5 grams of fiber. Apples contain lots of soluble fibre called pectin which reduces cholesterol. Pectin in the apple helps in reducing the risk of atherosclerosis and heart disease because it prevents building up of cholesterol in the lining of blood vessel walls. Apples are also rich in flavonoids.
- Apple can help prevent colon cancer. Apple can also help in prevention of prostate cancer and breast cancer in women. Apple contains procyanidins which triggers a series of cell signals that result in cancer cell death.
- Apple lowers your calories and makes you slim. Fiber content of the apple keeps you feeling full for long time without costing you a lot of calories.
- Apple prevents tooth decay. Apple can help to break up the plaque that sticks to your teeth and causes tooth decay. Eating apple also increases the production of saliva and helps to create mineral defenses against tooth decay.
- Apple reduces the risk of asthma and makes your lungs healthier. Eating apples regularly (5 or more per week) can lower respiratory problems. Apple has stronger anti-asthma effect compared to other fruits because it has high levels of antioxidants. Study published in the American Journal Of Respiratory Critical Care Medicine by UK researchers indicated that by eating 2 apples a week adults could reduce their asthma risk by up to a third. In a separate study, pregnant women who eat apples during pregnancy were found to able to protect their child from developing asthma in their first five years.
- Apple protects your brain from brain disease. As per the findings of the new study conducted by University of Massachusetts Lowell, drinking apple juice may help to maintain brain performance. The study suggests that two to three glasses of apple juice a day may protect against oxidative damage that contributes to age-related brain disorders such as Alzheimer's disease.
- Apple helps in protection of bone diseases. Researchers in France found that apple contains a flavonoid called phloridzin and this may protect post-menopausal women from osteoporosis as well as increase bone density. Apple also contains and ingredient called Boron, which also helps in strengthening the bones.
- Apple lowers the risk of developing type II diabetes because it has soluble fibre that does not raise blood glucose levels. Apple doesn’t have any fat, cholesterol, saturated fat or sodium.