Baby hair is thin wispy hair growth that can sometimes be seen around the hairline. The texture of these hairs is very different from the growth in other parts of the body. These hairs are also known as peach fuzz or vellus.
Baby hair is hard to style and does not lay flat.
Where are the Baby Hairs Present?
- Baby hair can be seen present all over the body including the arms, chest, and legs, and is lighter and softer than the other hair on the head.
- Baby hair is seen sprouting up around the temples, on the forehead, right above the ear and the nape of the neck.
- Their presence in the forehead makes the hairline irregular and therefore, styling becomes challenging.
As baby hair is short and fine and has less weight than the rest of the hair, managing them is more challenging.
Why Do We Have Baby Hair?
Baby hairs grow in childhood and their purpose is to:
- Protect the skin
- Wick away sweat
- Keep the body warm
Except for the baby hairs that grow next to the terminal hair, the hair that grows on the rest of the body is not as irritating. They just have a different texture and lighter color.
The genes play an important role in forming and designing the body. They can be responsible for the presence of baby hair.
Wearing a cap or a hat can also make the forehead prone to get baby hair. Also, tight ponytails can invite the growth of baby hair.
Why Is It Important To Get Rid Of Baby Hair?
Baby hair might look good on people with a large forehead but may become a matter of discomfort at times. They have a tendency to trap moisture from the skin and make you uncomfortable.
Putting a skincare product on face might make them stick on the baby hair and cause irritation. Also, everyday sun exposure might make the skin on the forehead around these baby hairs, dry.
All this makes it necessary to remove these hairs.
How To Get Rid Of Baby Hair?
There are various natural and surgical ways in which you can get rid of these baby hairs. Natural methods would take longer and surgical methods would give a long-lasting result.
Temporary Removal Methods of Baby Hair
Shaving: Shaving is the fastest and easiest method to remove hair. It can be done at home with the help of a razor and shaving cream. It is important to use the razor properly else it can lead to injuries.
Dermaplaning: Dermaplaning is similar to shaving, but a professional version. A razor is used in it to remove hair.
It is done with a lot of precision to avoid any injury.
Hair Removal Creams: Hair removal cream is a good way to get rid of baby hair. It is a painless procedure and there is no risk of injury as well.
Make sure that you go for a patch test before applying any cream on the skin as it can trigger skin irritation due to the chemicals present.
Epilation: Epilation is another effective way to remove baby hair. It removes the hair from the deep within.
Different epilation techniques include threading, tweezing, waxing, and sugaring.
Permanent Removal Methods of Baby Hair:
Permanent hair removal destroys the hair follicles from the root and prevents future growth. These are expensive but effective.
Laser Removal: In this method, laser light is focussed on the area of hair growth. The light gets converted into energy and penetrates deep into the follicles and melanocytes of the hair.
- This energy kills the hair follicles and slows down the hair growth.
- The procedure has side effects and therefore a dermatologist needs to be consulted before going ahead with the procedure.
- The procedure is mostly used for dark baby hair.(1)
Electrolysis: Electrolysis can destroy baby hair permanently and can be used on all types of hair.
- Electric charges are used in different air shafts that destroy individual hair follicles from the root.
Tips For Styling Baby Hair
There is not always need to get rid of these baby hairs. Learning the styling techniques can help live with them.
- Try styling them in the direction they grow. Do not always try to flatten them.
- A small amount of hair gel, mouse, or even water can help tame them. You can then brush and comb them down.
- Bobby pins can be used to twist a small section of hair over the baby hair to make them less noticeable.
- A fine-toothed comb can help in putting the baby hair down and together.
If you have baby hair, knowing to make them a part of the hair style is a way to live with them. You can also get them removed and that can have varying result.