MGUS or monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance is an asymptomatic benign condition determined by the presence of abnormal proteins (M Proteins) in the blood.1 It does not affect the health as the levels of M proteins remain stable for years. It has the potential to develop into a cancerous state as seen in multiple myeloma, lymphoma, etc. There is no cure known for MGUS in modern medicine. However, the levels of M proteins can be regulated and its progress to the cancerous state can be delayed.
Alternative Treatment For MGUS or Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance
There is no alternative treatment known for monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance. There are certain natural remedies that can help in reducing the levels of M proteins and slowing down its journey to cancer. These remedies are following-
Curcumin– curcumin can be used as an alternative or supplementary treatment for MGUS. Curcumin is a yellow pigment found in the turmeric, a type of spice.2 It reduces the levels of paraprotein (M protein). It acts as a blood purifier. It has the potential to kill the cells of cancer. In various research studies, it is found that curcumin can delay or prevent the progress of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance to cancer like multiple myeloma.
Allicin– it is found in garlic. It can slow down the progress of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance to cancer disease.
Ginger – it acts as a strong agent to kill the cancer cells and it can be used as an alternative or supplementary treatment. It also helps to lower down the M protein.
Cinnamon-it maintains the integrity of the cells. It does not allow the abnormal production of M protein.
Some lifestyle changes can also help in reducing the levels of M protein and discourage its progress to cancer-
- Consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables instead of pickled vegetables or frozen fruits and vegetables have lots of health benefits
- Regular exercises can detoxify the body and strengthen muscles and bones in the body.
- Proper sleep pattern for at least 6 hours a day can avoid the formation of free radicals and cancerous cells in the body.
- Correct management of stress through yoga or meditation and other methods can also help in monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance.
Conventional Treatment For Monoclonal Gammopathy Of Undetermined Significance
Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance represents no sign or symptoms for many years. Treatment is really not required. It cannot be cured nor treated. However, there are certain measures that can hamper the production of M proteins and delay their progress to cancer. The treatment options of MGUS are discussed below-
Wait And Watch– The doctor keeps a watch on the signs and symptoms of the development of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance. Initially, the symptoms are monitored in every 3-4 months, and then it may be done in every 6-8 months when symptoms do not develop. These symptoms include:
- Weakness and tiredness the whole day
- Pain in the whole body
- Fever and night sweats
- Unexplained weight loss
- Changes in one’s vision or hearing abilities
- Anemia or other blood disorders
- Enlargement of the lymph nodes, liver or spleen
- Problems related to heart and kidney.
Medicines. Medicines are prescribed according to the symptoms available. Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance impairs the density of the bone and causes bone fractures. So doctors recommend bisphosphonate to elevate the density of the bone. These medicines are ibandronate, alendronate, risedronate and zoledronic acid.
MGUS or monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance is a harmless condition characterized by the appearance of abnormal protein in the blood. These proteins are called M proteins or paraproteins that are formed in the bone marrow. They are produced in place of antibodies when our body reacts to an infection.
Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance is a slow progressing premalignant condition. Currently, there is no effective treatment available for its cure. The pace of the disease can only be reduced and conversion to cancer can be avoided to a certain extent. There is no alternative treatment available in the market.
- Home Remedies For MGUS Or Monoclonal Gammopathy Of Undetermined Significance
- How is MGUS or Monoclonal Gammopathy Of Undetermined Significance Diagnosed?
- Natural Remedies For MGUS Or Monoclonal Gammopathy Of Undetermined Significance
- What Are The Symptoms Of MGUS Or Monoclonal Gammopathy Of Undetermined Significance?
- What Is The Best Medicine For MGUS Or Monoclonal Gammopathy Of Undetermined Significance?