Can A Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Kill You?
Aneurysm means a balloon type of bulge forms in the artery walls. When it grows, it applies pressure on nearby areas and rupture eventually. A ruptured type of aneurysm thus releases blood into nearby spaces of human brain referred commonly as a subarachnoid hemorrhage or a life-threatening stroke. Treatment in this case hence intends to stop bleeding and repair aneurysm via bypass, coiling and clipping techniques.
What is Ruptured Type of Brain Aneurysm?
Ruptured type of brain aneurysm takes place from weakening or balloon type of bulging of any artery wall. When this bulge grows, it becomes weaker and thinner, while causes leakage or burst of blood pressure within it. Most of the aneurysms thus develop because of abnormal artery walls or weaknesses.
Aneurysms mostly take place on large blood vessels, where you find artery in the form of branches. About 80% of total aneurysms formation takes place in the anterior circulation or front part of the brain, while remaining 20% in posterior circulation or back portion of the brain.
Types of Ruptured Aneurysms
Ruptured aneurysms may take place in the following major ways-
Saccular or Berry Aneurysm: This type of aneurysm bulges from a particular side of patients’ arteries and comes with a distinct neck at the base.
Fusiform Aneurysm: Fusiform type of aneurysm bulges in every possible direction and that too without any distinct neck.
Giant Aneurysm: Giant aneurysm may be in fusiform or saccular state and it incorporates a measure of higher than 2.5cm of diameter. In addition, sometimes, the neck becomes wide and involves two or more than two arteries.
Traumatic Aneurysm: Traumatic type of aneurysm takes place because of close head injury or penetration of trauma within the brain.
Ruptured Aneurysms Symptoms
Most of the aneurysms do not show any symptom until they come in ruptured state. Rupture often takes place when a person remains active rather than when he sleeps. If you deal with any of the mentioned symptoms related to SAH, you should immediate call your doctor.
- Sudden onset of any severe headache
- Vomiting and nausea
- Photophobia or sensitivity towards beam of light
- Stiffness in the neck
- Double or blurred vision
- Loss or lack of consciousness.
Can A Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Kill You?
Ruptured aneurysm in brain releases blood in the spaces nearby the brain referred mainly as SAH i.e. Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. It is a life threatening issue with about 50 percent risk related to death of a person. Blood present in the space nearby subarachnoid increases the amount of pressure on human brain. Simultaneously, area nearby the patients’ brain, which previously obtained blood rich in oxygen from the affected walls of artery will now deprive of blood supply leading to stroke.
Moreover, patients may experience another type of complication referred as vasospasm in 5 days to 10 days after the problem of ruptured aneurysm. Irritating byproducts of the blood may cause narrowing or spasm of artery walls and thereby, reduces the flow of blood in the respective brain region leading to a secondary stroke.
Whenever brain aneurysms rupture, blood from the respective affected vessel leaks within the brain, creates pressure on respective brain tissues and causes permanent damages. This damage frequently becomes fatal and researchers have found that approximately 40 percent of the total number of people die because of rupture. On the other side, about two-third of total survived people remain left with impairment and severe type of disability.
How Surgical Treatment is Helpful for Patients?
When the bleeding remains limited only and doctors identify the problem in less possible span of time, treatment becomes possible and may prove to be lifesaving. Treatment in this case involves stemming in the flow of blood by inserting coils or metal clips within the aneurysm and sealing it off effectively, while intensive level of rehabilitation to reduce the overall impact of bleeding on the human brain.
- What Can Cause Brain Aneurysm or Cerebral Aneurysm and How is it Treated?
- What It Feels Like To Have A Brain Aneurysm, Know its Treatment & Recovery
- Detecting Brain Aneurysm: What Does It Feel Like When You Have A Brain Aneurysm?
- How Long Can You Have A Brain Aneurysm?
- What are the Warning Signs of a Brain Aneurysm?