Naegleria has large numbers of species but only a specific Fowleri species is responsible to cause disease. Naegleria Fowleri is a microscopic organism and its size ranges between 8micronmeters and 15micronmeters depending on the life stage as well as environment. Similar to other types of ameba, reproduction of Naegleria Fowleri takes place with cell division.
Whenever there is right temperature condition, the ameba responsible to cause infection convert into inactive cysts. On the other side, when Fowleri experiences favorable conditions, inactive cysts convert into trophozoites, also known as the ameba in its feeding form.
Life Expectancy Of Someone With Naegleria Infection
Life expectancy depends on following major aspects:
Signs And Symptoms Of Naegleria Infection
One of the major problems associated with the disease is that its symptoms are unspecific to the disease. Accordingly, infection caused from Fowleri appears almost similar to viral meningitis. Hence, the major symptoms will be-
- Fever and headache
- Stiffness in the neck
- Appetite loss
- Alteration in the mental state
- Seizures and
Life Expectancy According To The Period Symptoms Prevail
- Symptoms mainly appear in 2 days to 15 days period after Naegleria Fowleri ameba enters your nose.
- Once the symptoms appear, death often takes place within only three days to seven days.
- Approximately time to suffer death is within 3 days and 5 days starting from the onset of Naegleria Fowleri symptom.
- On the other side, research studies have found only a few individuals to survive from the Fowleri infection.(1)
To conclude, we should say that life expectancy of an individual suffering from Naegleria Fowleri may be only a period of 3 days to 7 days approximately.
- Can Naegleria Infection Be Reversed?
- Can Naegleria Infection Go Away On Its Own?
- Can You Be Cured Of Naegleria Infection?
- Is Naegleria Infection A Serious Condition?