Bee pollen has been considered as one of the most nutritious super-foods. Many people believe that it can cure a number of health problems. Whether bee pollen is nutritious or it has side effects, need thorough discussion.
An Overview of Bee Pollen
Before we delve deep into the benefits and side effects of bee pollen, it must be known, what bee pollen exactly is. For that matter, it must be known at first, what is pollen. Pollen is the male seed of a flower. It is an important element in the reproduction of the plant. While collecting nectar from the flowers, the bees also collect these pollens from the anthers of the plant flowers.
After collecting this pollen, the bees carry the pollen themselves to the beehive, by placing it in the pollen loads, which are like small baskets that are located in the tibia of the hind legs of these bees. The pollens are mixed with a little amount of salivary secretion of these bees, before placing them in the pollen loads. This entire process of collecting and processing the bee pollens is done by the worker bees.
Once these worker bees reach the beehives, they keep these pollens in the honeycomb cells of the beehive. Then they make the “bee-bread” from this by giving the pollen a thin layer of honey and coating it with wax. Through an anaerobic fermentation process, these bee pollens are aroused by the lactic acid inside the honey.
One thing that must be kept in mind is that bee pollen is not bee venom or natural honey or royal jelly or not even the honeycomb itself. It is pollen collected by the bees and the bees store it after processing it.
Benefits of Bee Pollen
- Benefits of Bee Pollen in Reducing Inflammation: Different kind of internal and external inflammations can be reduced by the bee pollen. Inflammations caused by toxicity and liver diseases can be reduced to a great extent by bee pollen.
- Bee Pollen helps in Reducing Toxicity: Those, who suffer from extreme alcohol cravings and other alcohol problems, are found to have been greatly benefited by bee pollen. Consumption of this super-food eliminates toxins from the body and thereby, toxin related health issues and conditions are also prevented.
- Digestion and Other Digestive System Related Benefits of Bee Pollen: With the consumption of bee pollens, the intestinal functions are regulated well. One very important digestive feature of bee pollen is that it self-digests and it also helps in the process of digestion. It also speeds up the combustion process and hence, fat and calories are burnt faster. Thus weight can be controlled well with this super-food consumption. Moreover, it can also cure diarrhea and chronic constipation.
- Benefits of Bee Pollen to the Elderly People: Elderly people, who have lost appetite, can be benefited with bee pollen. The high content of vitamin B helps them with their metabolism, digestion and also helps in maintaining a balance between lymphatic fluid and blood. Hence, senior people can enjoy proper functioning of the nerves, different glands and organs. Moreover, the memory loss related problems as well as the ageing process can also be slowed down by bee pollen.
- Benefits of Bee Pollen in Fighting Diseases and Building Immunity: Bee pollen is found to build a strong resistance power in the body, against different diseases. The most common diseases that bee pollen can prevent or resist are-
- Hay fever
- Chronic rheumatism
- Failing memory.
Since it is an absolutely natural product, if you are already on other some treatment or therapy, you can continue taking these bee pollens. These do not interfere with other treatments and thereby, build a natural resistance power of your body. Since bee pollen also contains many antioxidants, it reduces the impacts of the free radicals and thereby, improves immunity.
- Physiological Benefits of Bee Pollen: Apart from resisting the above mentioned diseases, it also helps in –
- Stimulating appetite
- Reduce negative impacts of pollutants and drugs
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce anaemia.
Researches are still going on to identify the other physiological benefits of this super-food.
- Bee Pollen is Beneficial in Enhancing Energy: As a rich source of carbohydrates, proteins as well as vitamin B, it helps the body stay energetic and fight fatigue. It is a great energy enhancer and stamina enhancer.
- Bee Pollen is Beneficial in Soothing Skin: As already mentioned, bee pollen can reduce inflammation; it is therefore used in a number of topical products to sooth the skin in different skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. The skin is regenerated by the vitamins and amino acids of the bee pollen.
- Benefits of Bee Pollen for Cardiovascular System: Bioflavonoid is an antioxidant that is very useful in strengthening the blood vessels. Also the large quantity of Rutin supports the circulatory system. Not just this, but bee pollen can also prevent heart attack or stroke by its anti-clotting properties and also by rectifying the cholesterol levels in the blood.
- Benefits of Bee Pollen in Curing Infertility Problems: Those, who have infertility problems associated with ovarian troubles, can be hugely benefited with bee pollen. It can accelerate pregnancy by restoring ovarian function, reducing ovarian troubles and by boosting fertility hormones.
- Benefits of Bee Pollen for Prostate Gland: Often, those men, who have got prostate hyperplasia in the benign state, suffer difficulties such as frequent urge to urinate as well as suffer the inflammation. Bee pollen can offer comfort to them.
- Libidinous Benefits of Bee Pollen: Men, as well as women, can enjoy comfortable and enjoyable libidinous urges and sexual life with their partners for long with the consumption of bee pollen. It can also prevent impotency problems in men. Menopausal women and men above the age of 40 can be benefited with this super-food.
Side Effects of Bee Pollen
Bee pollen has been used for over thousands of years as a natural super-food that has a number of benefits. However, there are certain side effects also that many complain to encounter. These include –
- Allergic Reaction as a Side Effect of Bee Pollen: Those, who are allergic to bee stings or even with pollen, must stay away from bee pollen as this can cause serious allergy to them. There are reports that have showed that allergy caused by bee pollen can even cause death.
- Toxic Reaction to Bee Pollen: Though bee pollen itself is known for reducing intoxication, there are certain ingredients in bee pollen that can cause toxic reaction to a person. Hence, bee pollen must be taken with caution.
- Renal Failure as a Side Effect of Bee Pollen: There are reports that show that some consumers of bee pollen have suffered acute renal failure.
How to Identify Bee Pollen Side Effects?
The usual signs and symptoms of bee pollen side effects are –
- Runny Nose
- Itchy throat
- Tearing Eyes
- Hay fever symptoms.
How to Use Bee Pollen?
The first thing that you must keep in mind, as already mentioned, is that bee pollen is a food. Hence, it is best to be taken during meal times, along with other fruits. This helps the food to cleanse the internal system and get rid of the toxins and microorganisms in the intestinal system. It is best to take a spoonful of bee pollen at breakfast time, along with a piece of fruit. You can also take it half an hour before breakfast followed by drinking a little juice, water or milk. The quantity can be increased to up to 1 tablespoon every day.
Nutritional Value of Bee Pollen
Bee pollen has a very high content of protein that serves as the major protein source for the entire bee colony. Approximately 40% of the bee pollen is protein which is food for the young bees. Apart from proteins, it also contains carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enzymes. About 100 kinds of active enzymes and 20 different types of amino acids are available in this natural super-food. Due to its rich nutritional value, the bee pollen is often consumed by many. It is believed to have a number of benefits on different physiological parameters.
Doctors advise that before the consumption of the bee pollens, one must take a tolerance test at first. This means to take a single pollen kernel at first and check if any allergic reaction or other side effect takes place within a day or two. If no difficulty is felt, one can continue consumption of this super-food and enjoy staying fit naturally. Bee pollen has many health benefits; however, one must not overlook the side effects it can bring along. Hence, if any symptoms are noted at any point of time while consumption of bee pollen, do seek medical help immediately.