Aegle Marmelos or bael is a spiritual and medicinal plant. The fruit of this plant takes 10-11 months to ripen. It has numerous health benefits and is medically used to treat tuberculosis, hepatitis, dysentery, constipation, piles and peptic ulcer.
Aegle Marmelos is also known as bael, Bengal quince, wood apple, golden apple, Japanese bitter orange, and stone apple.
In Ayurvedic medicine, the whole plants i.e. its root leaves, flower, and fruits are used to treat various conditions. It is believed that the fruit of this plant balance Kaph and Vata dosha, its roots improve digestion balance, its leaves treat pain, its stem is used for treating heart issues, and flowers for curing diarrhea.
The Aegle Marmalos contains tannins, flavonoids, and coumarin that help in reducing inflammation. These chemicals help treat asthma, diarrhea and other conditions. They are also found useful in reducing blood sugar.
Nutritional Facts of Aegle Marmelos
Aegle Marmelos is rich in alkaloids, polysaccharides, antioxidants, beta carotene, vitamin C, vitamin B, and other biochemical substances. It also contains tannins, phosphorus, calcium, iron, protein, and fiber.
Nutrient content of 100 gram of Aegle Marmelos or bael fruit contains(2):
- Energy: 137 cal
- Moisture: 61gm
- Protein: 2gm
- Fat: 0
- Mineral: 2gm
- Fiber: 3gm
- Carbohydrate: 32gm
- Calcium: 85mg
- Phosphorus:50 mg
- Iron: 1 mg
Health Benefits of Aegle Marmelos or Bael Fruit
1. Respiratory Infection
Medicated oil prepared from Aegle Marmelos leaves is helpful in giving relief from recurrent cold and respiratory infections.
The juice of its leave is used in a certain part of India to bring relief from wheezing and respiratory spasm. The juice can be mixed in warm water and a little pepper can be added to it.
Research shows that a product containing bael fruit and Boswellia gum helps give relief from asthma. It helps asthmatics to breathe better.(1)
2. Relieves Constipation
The ripe fruit of Aegle Marmelos is known as the best laxative. It is known to clean and tone up the intestine. Its regular use can help evacuate old accumulated fecal matter.
It can be consumed in the form of sherbet/juice. Its juice is prepared by taking out the pulp and mixing it with milk and a little sugar.
It also supports intestinal biological formulations and protects the digestive system from ulceration. It can help reduce the frequency of irritable bowel syndrome.
3. Diarrhea and Dysentery
The unripe or half-ripe fruit of Aegle Marmelos or Beal fruit is an excellent remedy for chronic diarrhea and dysentery.
The dried fruit can give the best results. When the fruit is green, slice its parts and dry them in the sun. These dried baels slices can be churned into powder and stored in airtight bottles.
You can also take unripe bael baked with jaggery or brown sugar.
Aegle Marmelos can help reduce blood in the stool which thereby gradually disappears and the stool assumes a more feculent and solid form. Continued use can help mucus to disappear.
It is a valuable remedy for chronic dysentery condition characterized by alternation constipation and diarrhea.
4. Peptic Ulcer
Infusion of leaves of Aegle Marmelos is an excellent remedy for peptic ulcer.
Soak the leaves in water overnight. Strain the water the next day morning and drink it. Consuming it for few days can relieve the pain and discomfort.
The leaves of Aegle Marmelos are rich in tannins that help reduce inflammation and heal ulcers.
The fruit can also be helpful due to the rich viscous content of its beverage. It forms a coating in the stomach mucosa and helps in the healing of ulcers.
Medical Uses of Aegle Marmelos or Bael Fruit
- As it is bitter and acrid it can be used to stimulate the production of bile
- It increases the body’s resistance and immunity
- Improves digestion
- ts ripe fruit can be consumed as sherbet
- Leaves of Aegle Marmelos are used in the preparation of medicine that can cure and control diabetes
Precautions While Consuming Aegle Marmelos Fruit
- It should not be consumed during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Excess of it should not be consumed by those suffering from abdominal disorders
- If suffering from high blood pressure this fruit should be avoided
- If taking as a supplement to reduce diabetes, it should be used with caution
- 10 Health Benefits of Guanabana Fruit or Graviola (Soursop) & Its Side Effects, Nutritional Facts
- Surprising Health Benefits of Purple Dragon Fruit
- 20 Amazing Health Benefits of Java Plum or Jamun
- Nutritional Facts Of Avocado, Its Health Benefit, & How Much Avocado Should You Eat In A Day
- 24 Amazing Health Benefits of Barberries
- Nutritional Profile Of Ackee Fruit & its 12 Health Benefits