Health Risks of Artificial Food Coloring|Relationship Between Cancer & Artificial Food Coloring
Food coloring used today involves multifarious varieties, which range across different colors like blue, citrus, red and yellow, which while making the dish appear colorful, vibrant and mouthwatering, also makes the food more prone to dangers and troublesome problems, which include serious diseases like cancer. According to recent medical researches and studies, it is learned that excessive use of food dyes and coloring can also cause cancer.
In most of the European countries, strict regulations have been placed which label the food consisting of food coloring as being full of health risks.
Health Risks of Artificial Food Coloring
Commonly Used Food Color or Dye & its Health Risks:
In the present time, the common food coloring or dyes used and the health risks of artificial food coloring are as follows:
- Sunset yellow is a major cause of severe hypersensitivity reactions and tumors among animals. You have to avoid colored bakery goods and dessert powders. Other than food items, cosmetics with this color should also be avoided.
- Red, or citrus red as it is known, is thought to be responsible for tumors in urinary bladder and the Florida oranges are also said to be dyed with this artificial food color.
- If you love to have sausage, then beware of erythrosine, which has become a cause of concern for carcinogen in animals. You need to avoid candies and baked goods to preserve your health as these also contain erythrosine, which lends them the artificial color.
- Fast green is a food color or dye, which is thought to be responsible for causing tumor among males, particularly affecting the testes and bladder. Along with food items, this drug is present in personal care products, such as cosmetics and lipsticks, which are harmful after prolonged usage.
- Blue food color, when studies were conducted in labs, this artificial food color caused kidney tumor in mice. Blue food dye is used in baked goods and beverages along with candies and drugs.
- Blue food color having indigo carmine tinge; this one was truly problematic as there was significant rise in tumors among rats. This color is used in candies and pet food.
Why are Additives Included in the Food?
Additives are the substances that are added to food to preserve them, or give color to them or to enhance the appearance and taste of the food. We shall have a short look here why the food coloring is of so much importance in some of the edibles. Major reason for this is to preserve the food so that there is a slow spoilage. Additives also help the cut fruits from getting spoiled. Additives also lend a better texture and appearance to the food, which aids in better taste too.
The Relationship Between Cancer and Artificial Food Coloring
Diseases such as cancer are the reason that Artificial Food Coloring or dyes should be avoided as much as possible. Studies have indicated that Artificial Food Coloring is related with cancer, particularly the following food dyes:
- Red 40
- Yellow 5
- Yellow 6
All of the above artificial food coloring or food dyes are equipped with carcinogens, which contaminate the food and increase the risk of causing cancer. Besides causing cancer, these artificial food coloring also are a cause of concern for allergies, which people with a weak immune system suffer from. Owing to these aftereffects and risks involved in artificial food coloring, authorities have been promoting the use of natural colors in place of artificial food dyes, which are much safer, make the food appear attractive and also promote good health in the long run.