Uterine fibroids are benign tumors that grow in the uterine wall. These tumors are not cancerous; however, it can cause symptoms such as heavy menstrual period, abdominal pain, difficulty in conceiving. Treatment options for uterine fibroids are life style changes, drugs and surgery. If you have uterine fibroids, you certainly will want to avoid drugs and surgery.
Estrogen is the main hormone that will promote the growth of uterine fibroids and increase the risk of getting uterine fibroids. You must have heard with menopause (when the periods stop) that uterine fibroids also decrease in size. So, you need to take this fact into account and try to have a diet, which will eliminate the excess estrogen efficiently from your body. You need to create a low estrogen environment in your body.
What Foods To Avoid When You Have Uterine Fibroids?
There are some foods that you should avoid if you have uterine fibroids as these foods will disrupt the normal hormonal balance or increase amount of estrogen. The following is the list of foods to avoid when you have uterine fibroids.
- Refined Carbohydrates: Foods such as pasta, white bread, white rice, cakes, cookies should be avoided when you have uterine fibroids. These foods tend to change the metabolism of estrogen and this will increase the size of the fibroid. Also excess intake of refined carbohydrates will lead into obesity. Obesity increase the production of estrogen by fat cells.
- Refined Sugar: The increase consumption of sugar can cause inflammation and weight gain. Inflammation can affect the healthy cells and destroy them. Obese people produce more estrogen than the normal weight people. This estrogen is produced by the fat cells.
- High Fat, Processed Meat: Processed meat is known to be high in added hormones, especially estrogen. Red meat from mammals should be avoided.
- High-fat Dairy Products: Women with uterine fibroids are advised to limit the consumption of high-fat dairy products like whole milk, butter, cheese, cream. These dairy products can contain high levels of steroids, estrogen and other hormones. These can increase the growth of the uterine fibroids. Should consume organic, hormone-free products.
- Saturated Fats: Food that contain high amount of saturated fats raise the estrogen level, which will make the fibroid grow more. These food also affect with the liver metabolism of excess hormones and that will increase the amount of estrogen in the body. So, avoid foods like bacon, sausages, high fat processed food, pastries and junk food which are full of saturated fat.
- Caffeine Laden Beverages: Too much caffeine affects the normal activity of the liver metabolizing the excess hormones and excreting those hormones. This will change the balance of the hormones level. Also various chemical are sprayed on coffee beans which can affect the balance of your hormones. Avoid caffeinated sodas and coffee.
- Alcohol: Excess alcohol intake can damage your liver, which will disrupt the balance of the hormones. It will also cause inflammation of the body and reduce the immunity.
- High Salt Diet: High salt diet also affects your liver, which will cause problems in your hormone metabolism. Therefore, estrogen may accumulate in the body. Therefore, avoid canned soup, chips, pickles, and baked beans.
Uterine fibroids are very common in females and these non-cancerous growths in your uterine wall. Estrogen is the hormone that makes the fibroid grow and increase your risk of getting uterine fibroids. So, you need to prevent a low estrogen environment in your body to shrink the fibroid to a size, which will not cause any problems. You need to avoid foods like refined carbohydrates, refined sugar, processed meat and red meat, high fat dairy products, saturated fats, caffeine laden beverages, high salt diet and alcohol. Most of these foods can lead to obesity, which will increase the amount of estrogen. Processed foods can contain high amount of added estrogen. Some food products affect the metabolism of the liver causing estrogen to accumulate in the body.
- Do Uterine Fibroids Cause Fatigue?
- What Happens to Untreated Uterine Fibroids?
- Can Uterine Fibroids Turn into Cancer?