Osgood Schlatter disease is a problem that impacts the knee of teenagers and adults. When going through a growth spurt, the quadricep tendon attached to the knee joint lengthens and becomes tighter, which affects the upper part of the shinbone, just below the knee.
Osgood Schlatter is a form of Traction Apophysitis (a condition as a result of repetitive use where excessive pull by a large tendon causes damage to the unfused apophysis to which it is attached).
Does A Knee Brace Help Osgood Schlatter?
Osgood Schlatter disease often occurs in the region of the shin bone referred to as Tibial Tuberosity. The tuberosity of the tibia or tibial tuberosity or tibial tubercle is a condition in which the patellar tendon insertion on the tibial tuberosity becomes irritated and results in pain with sports activities eventually necessitating rest and treatment.
Osgood-Schlatter typically heals on its own over time. Pain can be alleviated by relaxing, icing the knee, using anti-inflammatory medications, and using a knee brace for backing and firmness to help ease the pain.
The role of knee braces is an essential factor for a range of damages and most likely aimed for restraint or integrated as a component of a treatment strategy. The objective of any knee brace would be to work jointly with the inherent constructions of the knee to lessen pain and stimulate strength with no loss of normal knee performance, thus lessening injury probability.
A brace for Osgood-Schlatter will assist the use of force on the patellar tendon to help ease tension. The extremely popular braces for Osgood-Schlatter are knee bands or straps. However, the best treatment lies bracing with strengthening exercises and cold therapy.1. 2
Fine knee supports or braces with medical-grade compression focus on the pain signs and fluxes related to Osgood Schlatter disease. Knee braces are committed to reducing the tension and pain you may experience in your knee. The soft material is comfy and adaptable, letting you or your child to constantly do daily actions devoid of any constraints to movement.
There are several types of braces each with its features and functionalities. This includes
- Knee Sleeves
- Knee Pads
- Patellar Tracking Orthosis (PTO) Brace
- Patellar Straps (bands)
- Hinged Knee Braces
All knee bracing must be used as advised by your child’s physician or athletic trainer. Whilst several brands are accessible with no prescription, they must only be used once a precise analysis has been made and a complete management system has been established.3
Can You Squat With Osgood Schlatter?
Osgood Schlatter Disease is a real painful condition however certain types of exercise would help improve the symptoms. It is essential to understand the kinds of activities that may instigate the aggravation of the symptoms. Squats, lunges, and other activities that entail flexion to extension at the knee joint usually produce discomfort in those with Osgood Schlatter disease. Squatting is not good for this condition and slows down the healing process nevertheless push-ups and chin-ups improve relative body strength and joint stability.
Quad squatting places unnecessary pressure on the knees and irritates the condition. You will every so often see stiffness of the rectus femoris muscles or hamstrings as well as the posterior hip capsule, dependent on the patient.
One of the factors you generally observe with Osgood Schlatter disease cases upon assessment is that when you do the squat check, they are quad squatters and do a bad work of squatting into their hips and glutes. This implies that when they squat, as you watch from the posterior and anterior position, the knee is forecasted out more further than the foot, particularly as they attain the anterior part of the squat.4, 5
- Osgood-Schlatter Brace & Straps https://www.donjoyperformance.com/injury/osgood-schlatters
- Knee Pain: How to Choose the Right Knee Brace for Your Child https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/injuries-emergencies/sports-injuries/Pages/Knee-Pain-and-braces.aspx
- Osgood-Schlatters Braces – The sports bracing and therapy experts https://www.betterbraces.com/knee-injuries/osgood-schlatters
- Management of Osgood-Schlatter – Dynamic Chiropractor https://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=53808
- Squats and Osgood Schlatter’s disease https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=945938&page=1
- Are Knee Braces Of Any Help For Osgood-Schlatter?
- What is Osgood-Schlatter Disease, Know its Symptoms, Treatment
- How Long Does It Take For Osgood Schlatter To Go Away?
- Can Osgood Schlatter Cause Problems Later In Life & Does It Require Surgery?
- Can You Play Sports With Osgood Schlatter Disease & Coping Methods For It?