Experiencing anxiety on an occasional basis is normal in human’s life. However, people suffering from anxiety disorder frequently deal with excessive, intensive and persistent fear or worry about their everyday situations. Even anxiety disorders consist of repeated episodes related to sudden feelings of intense fear, anxiety or terror, which may go to peak within only a few minutes, known as panic attacks.
Furthermore, in case of anxiety disorder, an individual’s feelings related to panic and anxiety interfere with his/her daily activities. Because of this, such patients often find controlling their emotions as difficult, may go out of proportion towards actual danger and may experience the condition for a long time. An effective way to avoid panic or anxiety feelings is to avoid visiting the respective places as much as you can.
Are There Different Types Of Anxiety?
Yes, anxiety disorder takes place in different types and the type or form depends on behavior of individuals at a specific situation. The different types of anxiety problems include the following-
GAD i.e. Generalized Anxiety Disorder. GAD type of anxiety disorder characterizes exaggerated tension and/or worry and chronic anxiety even when a person has nothing or little to instinct it.
Panic Disorder. Panic disorder characterizes both unexpected and repeated episodes related to intense fear and it accompanies various physical symptoms. These include heart palpitations, chest pain, breathing shortness, abdominal pain/distress and dizziness.
OCD i.e. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. OCD i.e. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder associated with anxiety disorder characterizes unwanted and recurrent thoughts i.e. obsessions and repetitive type of behaviors called repulsions. Repetitive behaviors include washing hands, checking, counting or cleaning performed often with the expectation to avoid obsessive thoughts or force them to move away. However, involving in such so-called rituals give relief only on a temporary basis. Thus, when individuals do not perform them, their anxiety feelings increase further.
PTSD i.e. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. PTSD i.e. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder develops after you expose to any type of terrifying event or an ordeal, where you suffer from physical harm or face any threat. Traumatic events responsible to trigger PTSD are human-caused or natural disasters, violent personal assaults, military combat or accidents.
Social Anxiety Disorder or Social Phobia. Social Anxiety Disorder or Social Phobia type of anxiety disorder characterizes overwhelming anxiety and excessive feeling of self-consciousness in daily social situations. Social phobia remain limited to a specific type of situation i.e. fear to speak in any information or formal situation, drinking or eating in front of other people. However, if social phobia reaches to its severe level, an individual experiences symptoms in almost every situation or in doing any activity whenever they remain across other people.
Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders
Anxiety disorders come with following major signs and symptoms-
- Feeling of nervousness, tense or restless
- Sense of panic, impending danger or doom
- Problem associated with increased heartbeat or pulse rate
- Breathing in a rapid way i.e. hyperventilation
- Trembling of hands or legs
- Excessive sweating due to fear or nervousness
- Feeling weakness or tiredness
- Worry due to anything excluding the one remains at present
- Difficulty in concentration
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Difficulty in controlling your worry
- Gastrointestinal i.e. GI problems
Urge towards avoiding things or avoiding places, which trigger anxiety
When To Call The Doctor For Anxiety?
Based on aforementioned symptoms, you should approach your doctor immediately, particularly, if you have following major problems-
- You have the feeling of worrying excessively and your worry feelings interfere with your regular work, marital relations or any other part of your life.
- Your anxiety, worry or fear upsets you a lot and creates difficulty to control it.
- You often feel depressed and face problems with drug or alcohol usage, along with other concerns associated with mental health.
- You perceive that anxiety has connection with any of your physical health issue.
- You have suicidal behaviors or thoughts in your mind.
- How Is Anxiety Disorder Linked To Chronic Pain?
- Dance Therapy To Treat Anxiety, Depression And Chronic Pain
- What is Generalized Anxiety Disorder? Its Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- How Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) Can Impact Your Ability To Work?
- 7 Diet Suggestions for Regulating Anxiety Attacks Because of Food
- Can Watching Television Trigger Anxiety?