Approximately 2 to 3 percent of the U.S population suffers from the brain behavior disorder which is called as OCD, the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
What are Some of the Things to Do While Helping Someone with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD ?
- Be positive, encouraging, consistent and tolerant while helping someone with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
- As OCD can enter and leave in a person's life, it would be sensible to learn all about it so that you can recognize prior the person who suffers from OCD does. When you see and validate the signs, it is prudent to let the person know about this by showing consideration.
- Update yourself with related information since the more you acquire knowledge, the better you can assist them in understanding. You will be ready to defend the irrational defenses come their way. When they are scared and reject to go for treatment, you will be able to acknowledge them with the reasons why they must go for treatment. Therapy is significant in treating OCD. tell them why and how powerful is therapy, sorts of therapy, how they accomplish and the results of the same.
- Let them have access to the information as they go for a second opinion with the other family members and if the message transferred is wrong, they may start blaming you instead of decreasing the OCD. Meantime, the negative effects of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) may be neglected. Make sure that the family members possess what is going on either side so that you can assist them effectively.
- Anticipating too much puts pressure on the mind that will turn rituals severe and a feeling of failure before having tried. So, start expecting achievable tasks to enhance confidence and to feeling worthy about themselves.
- Know the person's interest to go through the therapy and let them know the number of sittings too. Do not force them when they say NO to therapy. Hold respect for their decision and do not publicize it when they do not want.
- Just as the alcoholic patients who are in denial can be sorted out with the help of family meetings as a supportive phase of the course. Trying to insert some sense into that person would not be successful. Show patience and understand them well and give them time to think over the available options before them. Talk to them with patience and explain everything in detail to make up their minds towards the therapy.
- People having OCD while undergoing difficult times start substance abuse to avoid the therapies. They predict that consuming alcohol may put their minds in peace and they feel free while having them. Substance abuse intensifies the OCD of the individual which you need to accept. Seek sufficient professional guidance when they become drug or alcohol addicts. No efficient medication can be rendered if the person is a drug addict. Please note thatthis does not involve anti-obsessional treatment or medication prescribed by their psychiatrist or doctor.
What Not to Say to a Sufferer of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD ?
If you are not aware of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the comments you throw may seem hurtful, impolite and scornful instead of enthusiastic, empathetic and positive. Here is a list of negative phrases you should be careful about while communicating with the friends, members of the family or neighbors who are having Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
No Problem, I am Sort of OCD at Times, too.
Though you've never underwent the consequences of OCD and never been diagnosed for the same, connect to the constant thoughts and make sure that all things around you is "just so." Staying obsessive or fascinating about things is common. However, being vulnerable to predicting and analyzing the situations and being scrupulous related to the surroundings is not Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD. It's counted as your personality.
Every individual come across obsessive thoughts and involves compulsive behavior to a notable level. But people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD experience the same to a great extent and accord discomfort in terms of mind and body. They often try to perform rituals to get rid of the unwanted thoughts that are filled in their minds, though they do not enjoy performing the same. They cannot control these actions though they constantly try to.
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD peeps out when these thoughts, emotions and manners reach a point where they interfere and obstruct in the person's daily activities. As a result, you cannot work as you do before, can't get back to work faster, spend sleeplessly, and even can't communicate with close relations.As you're laughing at your own mannerisms, it can come across as compassionless and minimizing to those who suffer from this disorder.
If you do not hold OCD, do not ever try to differentiate your experiences to it. It sounds good to say 'I am aware what it's like' but besides having the disorder, you won't know what exactly it's like.
You are Not Looking Like You Have OCD.
People with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD seem normal in appearance and might be different inside. People wonder that 'How could people look so normal outside when the obsessive thoughts and ridiculous behavior is inside?'
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD can be affected to anyone like male or female, young or adolescent or old. It does not mean that high functioning people who are successful stay immune.
Do You Want To Come Over and Clean My Home?
There is a misconception of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD that people having obsession with neatness and germs, and stay engaged in hand washing and compulsions like cleaning. There are few other compulsions and disorders such as obsessions.
When individuals with OCD focus on cleaning their surroundings, they stick to a specific place and the rest will not be as clean as the selected space. This mess will project more than the clean up and create an anxiety.
The irony is that the persons with OCD are very messy since their minds are filled with many unwanted things and they are not sure to concentrate on useful things which they can't tackle. It makes us even less suitable to deal with as it creates a loop of feedback in itself.
You are Being Ridiculous.
If you are a sufferer of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD, you will know the feelings and ideas that you come across or behaviors you are in are unreasonable. This does not make people think less true.
It's tough to move out of it. It's apparently something that you don't feel to accomplish, but something that you must not avoid. Unless you do it, you might stop thinking of it, or predicting that some bad will happen. Maybe these expectations and feelings physically harm you or render bad health.
Why Don't You Just Halt It?
Many of the OCD-positive people stay self-conscious about their actions and keep them secret from family and dear ones. They wait for the privacy and open their mind in doing rituals and hidden behaviors when none is present near them. They will move out of the city on holiday and the symptoms stop when all of a sudden when they are out of daily lifestyle. So why, the near and dear ones regularly ask, can't they just modify themselves to stop.
It's not that simple. Thought-suppression strategies have an anomalous effect on all of us.We feel more of that expression and it magnifies in intensity and periodicity.
It is not you. It is in your Head.
The causes of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD are still unknown to the experts. They say that they have a unquestioned proof that it's a disease based on brain. Studies and researches predict that there can be a genetic proneness for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD, and fMRIs say that people with OCD frequently possess brain based abnormalities. Environmental circumstances, head trauma and infections also in the series of causative items to develop Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). As OCD is a biological disorder, don't blame others of assuming or making it up.
It Is Just a Behavior. It Is Not That Serious.
Many people think that OCD is trivial and shallow. Few expressions are an extant of normal quirks and there's no worry of taking it serious. Sufferers in support groups try to make fun out of their disorder. But these symptoms are dangerous to the person who experiences them. It may interrupt everyday life, ability of accomplishing the objectives, or even consume their life.
Many patients hold a serious stage of OCD who are beyond medication and behavioral therapy they are completely ill.
You Just Have to Relax
As per the experts, relaxation techniques can't heal the Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD symptoms though they calm down the levels of anxiety and stress. So don't suggest jogging or yoga that helps them to get rid of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD.
Experts say that relaxation is so significant but it doesn't pick the fact that I am attacked by my brain. No kind of breathing exercises or mindfulness that's keep away the truth that my mind likes to preoccupied with the typo I done in a paper.
Prepare Yourself To Practice To Live With It.
There is no chance of getting rid of OCD, the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. You need to move your life with it. Treatments are accessible to it. "Just Accept" may increase the suffering and stops them from expecting help.
Vivid treatments, medication, and therapies are available to terminate OCD. Therapists suggest people with disorder to encourage their thoughts t positive mode to eliminate obsession.