How Effective is Hyzaar & What are It’s Side Effects?
Diabetic people should not use hyzaar with another type of medication that has aliskiren (Tekturna, Valturna, Tekamlo, Amturnide). Though it is very rare, hyzaar is likely to cause a certain condition that can result to the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue which can lead to kidney failure. It is important to call your doctor if you experience symptoms such as tenderness, unexplained muscle pain or weakness especially if at the same time you are suffering from a fever, having dark colored urine and unusual tiredness.
How Effective is Hyzaar?
Hyzaar is a drug that contains both losartan and hydrochlorothiazide. Hydrochlorothiazide is known to be a water pill (diuretic) that effectively helps to prevent a person's body from absorption of much salt which causes fluid retention. Losartan which are angiotensin II receptor antagonists keeps the blood vessels from them narrowing, hence enabling them to lower blood pressure and also to improve the flow of blood.
Hyzaar is used effectively to treat hypertension (high blood pressure). Hyzaar also lowers the risk of people with heart disease to be affected by stroke.
For pregnant mothers it is advisable not to take hyzaar and if you become pregnant while taking the medicine immediately stop using it and inform your doctor right away. Also do not use hyzaar if you have any difficulties in urinating, or if in case you are allergic to sulfa drugs or penicillin.
Before Taking Hyzaar
If allergic to losartan or hydrochlorothiazide one should not use hyzaar. For diabetic patients and those suffering from kidney failure should not use hyzaar with other medications at the same time that may contain aliskiren (Valturna, Tekamlo, Amturnide, Tekturna). Inform your doctor the following for safe assurance of using hyzaar;
- Liver or kidney disease
- Glaucoma, congestive heart failure
- Asthma, gout or lupus
- High or low levels of potassium in the blood
- Any allergy to drugs with sulfa or penicillin.
If pregnant do not use hyzaar, stop using it right away in case you become pregnant and inform your doctor immediately. Hyzaar is likely to harm the unborn baby that may result to death of the infant if taken during the second or third trimester of pregnancy. It is not yet clear whether losartan and hydrochlorothiazide can be passed to an infant through breast feeding. Inform your doctor if you are nursing or breastfeeding a baby.
How Should I Take Hyzaar?
One should take the medicine with a full glass of water. Make sure that your blood pressure and kidney function should be checked regularly since one may have a low blood pressure while taking hyzaar. Inform your doctor if you experiencing any vomiting, diarrhea or sweating unusual. If any surgery is to be done inform the surgeon before time, that you are taking hyzaar since you may be advised not to take it for some time.
Since high blood pressure most likely do not have symptoms, it is good to continue getting treatment for high blood pressure even after you feel well. One might need to treat blood pressure for their life time.
What are the Side Effects of Hyzaar?
If you have any of the following allergic reactions caused by hyzaar one should seek immediate medical attention from the doctor; difficulties breathing, hives, swelling of the tongue, lips, throat or your face.
Though it is very rare hyzaar can result to a condition of breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, which may lead to kidney failure. It is important to reach out to your doctor immediately if you feel unusual tiredness, having dark colored urine, unexplained muscle pain or feeling weakness.
Inform your doctor if you have the following side effects:
- Vision problem or eye pain
- Feeling like you might pass out
- Having difficulties urinating, swelling or rapid weight gain
- Feeling confused, drowsiness, increased thirst, mood change, vomiting or nausea
- Pounding or fast heartbeats
- Having a pale, skin bruises or bleeding
- Having slow heart rate, muscle weakness or tingly feeling (high potassium)
- Yellowing of your eyes or skin (jaundice)
There are common side effects caused by hyzaar which includes:
What Other Medicines Will Affect Hyzaar?
Inform your doctor of any medicine you are currently using and those that you stop or start while taking hyzaar, mostly the following;
- A different blood pressure medication
- Steroids and lithium
- Colostipol or Cholestyramine
- Barbiturate which include phenobarbital and more
- Oral diabetes or insulin medication
- Any other water pill or diuretic
- Non- steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Aleve) diclofenac, indomethacin, celecoxib, meloxicam and many others.
- Muscle relaxer (baclofen, tizanidine, carisoprodol methocarbamol and many more
- Narcotic medication (methadone, codeine, hydrocodone, fentanyl, morphine, hydromorphone , oxycodone.