Bentonite and zeolite are the materials used mostly in alternative medications to cleanse the body. Both of these healing agents come from different sources.
Bentonite is an aluminosilicate and available in the form of clay and can be purchased in various other forms. Consuming bentonite clay can lead to the bloated sensation as the clay swells in size when it comes in contact with water.
Zeolite is a hydrated aluminosilicate. It is a crystallized mineral that is obtained from lava and water and is available only in liquid form. It is a lot more powerful than any kind of clay.
Properties of Bentonite
Bentonite is also known as montmorillonite, is a clay substance that is found anywhere. It is most prevalent in the Great Plains region of North America.
It is creamy grey in color and is odorless.
When mixed with water the components of the clay get electrically charged up and the clay swells
Bentonite is known to hold and absorb toxins and remove impurities.
Properties of Zeolite
- The word Zeolite comes from the Greek word ‘boiling stone’. It has a honeycomb-like structure made of silicon and aluminium oxides.
- Zeolite is a crystallized aluminosilicate mineral. It is found in rock deposits worldwide.
- When lava is mixed with freshwater and salt zeolite is formed. Over the course of millions of years, the volcanic ash becomes crystalline.
- Zeolite crystals emit steam when heated. The negative electric charge attracts positively charged particles.
Medicinal Use of Bentonite
- Bentonite is known for its healing properties and is used for cleansing and healing the body.
- It absorbs toxins present in the body and cleanses the digestive tract.
- It is also known to alleviate diarrhea and is a remedy used for heavy metal poisoning. It can be used for the treatment of food allergies, spastic colon, mucous colitis, and food poisoning(1)
- Betonite can be found in mud packs, facial creams, and balms used for sunburns. It can be obtained in the form of powder, gel, and capsule. It is known to act faster than calendula in diaper rashes(2)
- It can be used as a dietary intervention to prevent and cure aflatoxin toxicity(3)
- Bentonite can be beneficial in renal health. It promotes the diffusion of urea from the blood vessels to the intestines(4)
Medicinal Use of Zeolite
Medical uses of Zeolite are as follows:
- Relieves acid reflux
- Helps lower blood sugar in serious cases of diabetes
- Helps remove free radicals from the body
- Animal studies show this mineral can both stimulate and suppress the immune system(5)
- Zeolite is available in liquid form and can be consumed by mixing in water. 3- 15 drops of the liquid can be consumed three times a day depending on the cleansing regimen.
The Risk Associated with the Usage of Bentonite and Zeolite
A few people have reported constipation when taken bentonite as a dietary supplement.
Zeolites are the minerals, the chemical composition of which is similar to asbestos, a carcinogen(6). It is known to cause lung cancer that is considered highly lethal. Its direct application on the skin should be avoided.
If considering introducing any of the two, bentonite or zeolite in the regular dietary regimen consult a doctor.