Most often it is found that people do not pay attention to the innerwear while working out.
Some women, especially the small-chested ones, do not wear a sports bra while exercising. Not knowing the importance of the same or feeling uncomfortable make them skip wearing a bra.
Not wearing a properly fitting sports bra while exercising can lead to damage to the breast tissue. Breasts have fibrous tissues called cooper ligaments that are attached to the chest wall. These ligaments are susceptible to motion. Also, sensory nerves are present in the breast that can get affected due to aggressive activity and movements.(1)
What Happens If You Exercise Without A Sports Bra?
A sports bra can keep the weight well-distributed during a workout session.
- Stretch Marks: Working out without sports bra can lead to sagging of breast and stretch marks. Sports bra gives breast the much-needed support to prevent any tissue damage.
- No Support To The Cooper Ligament: During the jumping and other movements the cooper ligament of the breast gets affected. A sports bra provides support to the ligament and skin on the breast.
- Back and Neck Pain: While running the breast goes up and down. This not only causes discomfort but also can lead to back and neck problems.
- It Can Cause The Breast To Sag: The ligament and skin of the breast are very delicate. Repeated intense workout without any support can pull the skin and the ligament. This results in sagging of the breast.
Types of Sports Bra
- Compression Bra: It works by compressing the breast against the chest to restrict the movements.
- Encapsulation Bra: This bra has encapsulation cups. Each cup supports and encapsulates each breast.
- Combination of Compression/Encapsulation Bra: This bra provides compression as well as support to the individual cups.
Benefits of Sports Bra
A good sports bra is a must-have workout essential for every female athlete. It has medical and performance-enhancing benefits.
- Sports Bra Proves To Be The Best In Providing Support During Exercise: Sports bras are important for maintaining the integrity of the breast wall and shape of the breast. The intense movements during exercise can cause the ligaments surrounding the breast to stretch and tear. It is irreversible damage and can lead to the drooping and sagging breast. A sports bra can help prevent this condition.
- Minimize Breast Movement: This is the most popular benefit a sports bra has to offer. The breast movement can make physical activity inconvenient and painful. A sports bra holds everything in place without squashing down the breast.
- Sports Bra Regulate Sweat And Temperature: With the advancement in technology, many companies have come out with athletic wear with a variety of fabric and several important functions. For example, there is a sports bra that can wick off sweat. It also increases the airflow to the skin keeping it cool and dry.
- Some Sports Bra Have Storage Capability: There are a few sports bras that are designed to hold keys and small MP3 players, so you need not worry about carrying a pouch around the waist for the same. It not only reduces the number of items you have to carry but also you need not worry about losing these items as they are securely tucked in.
A good sports bra reduces movement of the breast that can lead to less pain and discomfort. Those with sweat-wicking properties make exercising more comfortable. Sweating can lead to chafing problems that may develop during prolonged activity with a wet bra.
Wearing worn-out sports bra can lead to breast pain and ligament damage, as it would not provide the same level of support. Also, it is important to replace a sports bra every 6-8 months to stay comfortable and supported while exercising.