Lifestyle Changes For Nephrotic Syndrome
The management of the lifestyle in the patents is very important for the prevention of nephrotic syndrome. During a treatment, the daily lifestyle changes and a healthy diet should be considered in the early stage of nephrotic syndrome. Exercise should not be strenuous and should be done as per the direction or under the guidance of an expert. Diet should be such that it would not worsen the symptoms. Sodium should be avoided, and healthy oils should be used for cooking. Intake of fats especially saturated fats should be totally avoided. Various yoga poses can be performed to increase the blood flow to kidneys and strengthening abdominal and back muscles. The patient should refrain himself from smoking and the intake of alcohol should be limited.
Lifestyle Changes For Nephrotic Syndrome
- Healthy Diet: A healthy diet for renal syndrome consists of low salt, low cholesterol, low fat and fruits, and vegetables. The amount of protein and fluid in the diet depends on the patient condition, age, and weight. Food should contain less amount of sodium to alleviate swelling due to nephrotic syndrome. Vegetables and fruits reduce the level of Low-Density Lipoproteins. Dairy products with low fat are preferred and fish may also be added in the diet. Protein content depends upon the stage of the disease. Potassium and phosphate containing foods should be avoided and alcohol intake should be limited.
- Restrict Intake of Sodium: Too much sodium is harmful to patients with renal disease because the kidney cannot eliminate the excess amount of sodium and fluid from the body. When sodium and fluid level is increased in tissues and bloodstream it may cause:
- Edema: cause inflammation in legs, hand, and face.
- Increase blood pressure.
- Heart failure: Excess amount of fluid and sodium in the bloodstream may lead to heart failure.
- Increased thirst
- Difficulty in breathing: Fluid may get filled in the lungs and cause difficulty in breathing.
- Limit Fat Intake: Nephrotic syndrome results in an increased level of cholesterol due to various causes. Reduced intake of fats and some oils may have a beneficial effect on cardiovascular health. The patient should use olive oil or coconut oil in his food, and saturated fats, as well as partially hydrogenated oils, should be avoided(1).
Yoga For Nephrotic syndrome
Yoga can reduce stress, improve breathing, and increase strength. There are some yoga poses that improve kidney health in nephrotic syndrome and also reduce stress and increase the activity of muscles.
Cobra Pose: In cobra pose, abdominal muscles are stretched and help to strengthen the back muscles. From this yoga pose, the blood flow is stimulated around the kidney. This pose also provides relief from the kidney stone.
Boat Pose: Boat pose holds the back muscles and gives a little stretch to abdominal muscles. As similar to cobra pose boat pose also stimulate the blood pressure around the kidney.
Seated Twist Post: Seated twist pose is a wringing technique that is similar to yoga practice. This pose helps to accelerate blood cell turnover. It helps in to supply freshly prepared oxygenated blood and promotes good kidney health(2).
Camel Pose: The camel pose manipulates the kidney and increases the blood flow. Camel pose detoxifies the blood by removing impurities.
Wind-Relieving Pose: This pose helps to reduce the pressure of kidney clearing the kidney blockage. It also helps in treating the problem of kidney stone.
Bridge Pose: Bridge pose activates the kidney system and abdominal organs. Bridge pose also treats the high blood pressure that is caused due to certain kidney disease.
Nephrotic syndrome is characterized by the loss of kidney function. The patient may not be able to filter the blood and a large amount of protein is excreted in the urine.
Apart from medications, various lifestyle changes also help in managing the symptoms of nephrotic syndrome. These include a healthy diet, limiting salt and fat intake, avoid smoking, limit alcohol, and exercise under the guidance of expert and yoga.
- Is Nephrotic Syndrome Fatal & Can A Child Die From It?
- Can You Outgrow Nephrotic Syndrome & How Do You Reduce Swelling In It?
- Home Remedies For Nephrotic Syndrome
- How To Diagnose Nephrotic Syndrome & What Is the Best Medicine For It?
- What Is The Prognosis For Nephrotic Syndrome?
- Is Nephrotic Syndrome A Serious Condition & Can It Be Reversed?